PS3 and AirPort Extreme (802.11n)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD
I bought a PS3 the other day and connected it to my AE which in turn is connected to a cable modem. Everything seemed to be going fine until I tried downloading a firmware update (for the PS3) and some game demos. The speed at which they were downloading was extremely slow, so I decided to surf the web on my MacBook while I wait it out. No dice, the wireless internet connection was barely working and it would time out on almost every site. So I realized that the PS3 might be hogging all the bandwidth. So I began some troubleshooting. Unhooked my cable modem and directly attached it to my MacBook through Ethernet and checked my connection at dslreports.com. The connection was perfect, so I hooked it back up to my AE and tested the connection again with only my MacBook active on the wireless network. No problems once again.

Here's where I decided to try my old Netgear router just to see if it would play nice. So I attached the Netgear to the Airport (which I still wanted to keep active because of a couple network drives and a printer) configured the PS3 and it's been working perfect since. Doesn't hog the bandwidth at all, plus some of the features (playing online, getting CD track names) that didn't work with the AE now work perfectly. Could this have something to do with UPnP? I know that the AE doesn't have UPnP but NAT instead, but the PS3 seems to only play nice with UPnP. Any insight as to what I should try to do? Any help is deeply appreciated and thanks in advance. :)

OP
86Apex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyone? Please? My old router's crapping out on me now. :(

OP
86Apex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright, well I guess no one knew how to help me out. I figured it out after some tinkering. Thanks anyways. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24-inch iMac, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, 1 TB HD, 4 GB RAM
Alright, well I guess no one knew how to help me out. I figured it out after some tinkering. Thanks anyways. :)

Maybe you can help me out, since you figured it out :D

I'm having issues connecting between my PS3 and Airport Extreme. The PS3 sees the network SSID and I enter the security password (WPA2), but the PS3 fails the Internet test. I've connected successfully using an ethernet connection, but I'd rather not have a 50 ft cable running through my house. How did you get the PS3 to play nice with AE? Since I just bought the AE unit, maybe I should return it and get something that works better with the PS3. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Maybe you can help me out, since you figured it out :D

I'm having issues connecting between my PS3 and Airport Extreme. The PS3 sees the network SSID and I enter the security password (WPA2), but the PS3 fails the Internet test. I've connected successfully using an ethernet connection, but I'd rather not have a 50 ft cable running through my house. How did you get the PS3 to play nice with AE? Since I just bought the AE unit, maybe I should return it and get something that works better with the PS3. Any suggestions?
I can't use the WPA/WPA2 for my notebook too"
I don't know why....

Reaction score
I have my PS3 connected to my Airport Extreme and have no problems with it at all. In fact it works better with my Airport Extreme than it did with my old netgear router. I am not sure why you would be having problems with yours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24-inch iMac, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, 1 TB HD, 4 GB RAM
I figured out what my problem was and now everything is running smoothly. It appears that the Airport setup utility was cutting off my WPA2 password after a certain point. I didn't notice it when I was typing it in, but the last two characters were missing. This resulted in my repeatedly entering the wrong password when trying to setup the PS3. I figured it out after going back and counting the number of characters and noticing the discrepancy. I created a new password and the PS3 connected immediately.

Reaction score
I figured out what my problem was and now everything is running smoothly. It appears that the Airport setup utility was cutting off my WPA2 password after a certain point. I didn't notice it when I was typing it in, but the last two characters were missing. This resulted in my repeatedly entering the wrong password when trying to setup the PS3. I figured it out after going back and counting the number of characters and noticing the discrepancy. I created a new password and the PS3 connected immediately.

I'm having the same problem. Was the shortened password in the Airport setup or the PS3?

Reaction score
Same problem.
I noticed that if I set the Airport Extreme base to work with 802.11n compatible with a, my macbook works very well but PS3 obviously doesn't recognise the base!
Instead, if I set the Airport Extreme base to 802.11n compatible with b/g, both Mac and PS3 see the base but cannot connect to internet!
This doesn't happen if I use my old Airport Express base set to b/g.
Can anyone help?
Thanks a lot.

Reaction score
I know I'm late to the game, but for the benefit of peopl like me, who are still stumped...

When PS3 wireless setup asks for WEP or WPA key, use your Airport password; not your Airport WEP or WPA key. And--as another poster has pointed out---make sure your Airport password is no longer than 8 characters long.

If it's longer, you have to go into Airport Utility to change it. And in my case, I had to reboot my AEBS before the new, shortened password was accepted.

Reaction score
PS3 vs. MacBook

I bought a PS3 the other day and connected it to my AE which in turn is connected to a cable modem. Everything seemed to be going fine until I tried downloading a firmware update (for the PS3) and some game demos. The speed at which they were downloading was extremely slow, so I decided to surf the web on my MacBook while I wait it out. No dice, the wireless internet connection was barely working and it would time out on almost every site. So I realized that the PS3 might be hogging all the bandwidth. So I began some troubleshooting. Unhooked my cable modem and directly attached it to my MacBook through Ethernet and checked my connection at dslreports.com. The connection was perfect, so I hooked it back up to my AE and tested the connection again with only my MacBook active on the wireless network. No problems once again.

Here's where I decided to try my old Netgear router just to see if it would play nice. So I attached the Netgear to the Airport (which I still wanted to keep active because of a couple network drives and a printer) configured the PS3 and it's been working perfect since. Doesn't hog the bandwidth at all, plus some of the features (playing online, getting CD track names) that didn't work with the AE now work perfectly. Could this have something to do with UPnP? I know that the AE doesn't have UPnP but NAT instead, but the PS3 seems to only play nice with UPnP. Any insight as to what I should try to do? Any help is deeply appreciated and thanks in advance. :)

I just went through a similar sequence of problems last night: boyfriend hooks up our new PS3 to our Airport Express (also connected to a cable modem), which has a MacBook and dell laptop hooked up already. PS3 prompted for an update and my internet gets cut off on my MacBook (and his iPhone can't connect) as a result.
Once we turned off the PS3, my Airport Utility couldn't even find my network/ Airport Express and it was only 5 feet away! My password isn't more than 8 characters so I don't think that was the problem.... but weird thing is, this morning, we tried to connect to the internet again with the PS3 off and were successful but the connection was extremely slow.
I don't have any other router/ Ethernet and it seems like there's going to be battles over using the PS3 or the MacBook because they can't be used at the same time.

Has anyone found a solution to this without resorting to purchasing an additional router?

Cheers.:D

Reaction score
PS3 & Airport extreme

Ok Im not technical minded, I have my airport extreme working with with my ADSL, however when I attempt to connect my new PS3 it cant find my IP. Any simple suggestions?? Please:Smirk:

Reaction score
My password is 9 characters, and I just ran a system update with no issues.

I purchased my Airport Extreme in August and it has been exceptional ever since - very simple to configure. Fortunately I was able to configure it using my Macbook. I haven't updated my Vista pc yet so I can install the Windows utility.....then again, why bother.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.