Compressing Movie Files

Reaction score
Boy, I'm on a roll with new threads today! :eek:

I would like to write some video files to a CD as backup. Is there an easy way to compress the files so I don't burn through CDs like crazy? Can it be done in Quicktime or VLC media player, or is there another way?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Well you can export video using the h264 codec via the Quicktime Pro export menu. However you will need to play around with the settings to figure out the best size/quality. You could also try Visualhub for encoding video.

OP
E
Reaction score
Ok. I want to save movie files to CD. They are large files, so I need to make them smaller. Don't want to eat up whole CDs for a few short videos. Would it make more sense to export as smaller sizes, or to zip the files? Your thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Considering a Mac... hopefully
I don't think you want to zip those files, as that wouldn't change files sizes very much and would take a lot of time to compress/decompress.

Well you can export video using the h264 codec via the Quicktime Pro export menu. However you will need to play around with the settings to figure out the best size/quality. You could also try Visualhub for encoding video.

Both of those cost money!
I suggest using iSquint or ffmpegx to encode your videos into a smaller format/size.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.