How the *#$& install Airport on eMac?

M

MoltenLava

I had a small project last night to replace the CDROM drive on my eMac with a DVD-RW. I downloaded the service manual, which explains that in order to reach CDROM bay, I had to remove the speakers, fan, heat shield, motherboard, heat sink, and disk drive. Oh well, I'd like it to be easier, but not too bad.

So I went on. It took me about an hour to disassemble the eMac and finally got to the CDROM drive. I put everything back and powered it on. Then Voila!. OS X automagically recognized the new CDRW.

Now that all the difficult task is done, I wanted to put the Airport back where it was. And this **** thing just doesn't go in! No, I didn't put it upside down. I've been trying and trying and the tips of my fingers are hurting trying to wiggle it back in the slot. Is there any tip? It goes in all the way except for 1/2 inch or so. I think the problem is the airport card doesn't align with the socket on the motherboard. I just need to wiggle it to align it right. I can't believe this simple user installable component is taking more time than replacing CD drive.

Or if you live in SF bay area and can do this for $20, let me know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Are you sure it isn't actually all the way in, and just looks like it's still sticking out? Have to checked to see if the card is being recognized by OS X? Just a thought, because it should definitely not be so difficult to install. The card on my iBook just slid right in.

OP
P

PinkPhishDoors

Is it faced the right way? Is it an extreme card? On my iMac my 802.11B card is faced so that the white side with the plastic tab is facing towards YOU WHEN YOU INSTALLING IT... but i am not sure how it is on an eMac...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.