Start Up Problems w/ Mini

OP
brian00321
Reaction score
Alas, after 20 hours of Zeroing Out, the bar is still stalled out at the same position during the "Preparing to erase" stage. I still have not turned it off yet. Although I think it would be a good idea if I did. Unfortunate that it's happening. I am hoping a new hard drive will bring it back to life.

M

MacHeadCase

Well I think you did what you could. It looks obvious now that it is a hardware problem, more specifically the hard drive that failed like trav pointed out.

Very sorry about that. :(

Is it still under warranty? Did you get extended Apple Care for it?

And do get an external as well: you will be able to do backups of your stuff.

OP
brian00321
Reaction score
Well I think you did what you could. It looks obvious now that it is a hardware problem, more specifically the hard drive that failed like trav pointed out.

Very sorry about that. :(

Is it still under warranty? Did you get extended Apple Care for it?

And do get an external as well: you will be able to do backups of your stuff.

Nope. Unfortunately the Mini is no longer under warranty. I paid for Apple Care once, but came to the conclusion that it's much too expensive. The same price as a hard drive.

One last question before I think this thread is done. If I buy an external hard drive (preferably the miniStack) will I be able to run OSX Tiger off of that solely and have everything working? And once again, thanks a lot for all the help.

M

MacHeadCase

Well you Mini, is it running of a PowerPC or Intel chip? Theoretically, an Intel-based Mac can boot from a USB-only external drive but just copying photos on a USB external seems to be painfully slow so maybe your startup time could be a bit slow as well.

A PowerPC based Mac can only boot off of a FireWire interface external, it will not boot from a USB external at all.

OP
brian00321
Reaction score
I'm running on an older PowerPC version. I know the upsides of firewire being faster. But any downsides from running the OSX directly from the HD via firewire?

M

MacHeadCase

I'm no expert on this subject, by far, but I believe running it off of an external will be definitely slower than running the OS from an internal hd.

Cam

Reaction score
I see no real reason why a usb os shouldn't run quickly enough. The transfer rate is 400mb/s. As for photo copying to usb hard drive - it's just as slow to copy a load of photos between internal hard drives... These drives are so cheap now though, wouldn't hurt to give it a go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.