• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Editing and outputting HD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.66
I am considering getting myself a HD camcorder for X-mas. I am a noob when it comes to digital video. I am coming from Hi-8.
I have a Macpro and I would start by editing in iMovie, I am running Tiger OS. I have questions.

Can I edit HD in the prior version of iMovie? It appears I would need to upgrade to i-Movie 08 and Leopard and download iMovie hd6.

How could I output it? I have an HD DVD player, would I need to get an HD DVD drive? Is one available?
If i-Movie can edit HD can it output a standard res dvd so I could share it with non HD people?

Any help is appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
You can edit in both iMovie 06 and iMovie 08.

- iMovie can output in HD but I don't think your HD DVD player will understand that kind of format.
- You can easily burn DVDs for non HD people.

Reaction score
This answers part of my question

You can edit in both iMovie 06 and iMovie 08.

- iMovie can output in HD but I don't think your HD DVD player will understand that kind of format.
- You can easily burn DVDs for non HD people.

Unfortunately I did not see this post before I posted a similar question (to be fair it was posted 3 minutes before mine). Anyway, so from what you are saying I can take an HD video camera and import the HD content into iMovie 06 and edit it. Which is great, but now my question is what do you gain from having an HD video camera and and computer that can edit HD content if there is no way to burn it or somehow play this HD home movie on your HD TV in the living room?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well the computer can do that. You will need to use something from maybe the Final Cut Studio for outputting to high definition discs. I think the purpose of HD output in iMovie is linking up with an AppleTV or something like that. Also, .Mac supports HD video so that's also there.

OP
Bill S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.66
Is it possible to output back to the video camera?
You could then hook the camera to the TV, not optimal but it would work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well you can hook your computer to the TV as well, just in case.

But I'm not sure about output back to video camera format. I don't think so.

Reaction score
Well you can hook your computer to the TV as well, just in case.

But I'm not sure about output back to video camera format. I don't think so.

If I did hook my Mac Book Pro up to the TV, which I am doing now with a DVI-to-RCA/S-Video converter the signal would not be HD would it? Can you transmit 720P,1080i, or 1080P through a RCA or S-Video connection? I didn't think so? Is there another, or better, way to connect my Mac Book Pro to the television? I think I have a computer connection input on my tv but I believe it is just the 9-pin standard connection and I think there is probably limited resolution that way (of course I have never hooked it up that way, so maybe someone could tell me that is the way to go).

Thanks,
Richard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If your TV supports 720p, 1080p, then the macbook can certainly output it. You can get a Mini-DVI to analog adapter and connect it that way. There's not much difference between analog and digital (though the latter is of course better).

OP
Bill S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.66
Camera will do it

Goobiemama

The Camera I want to get, the Canon HV20 does act as a recorder through the cable. It will record both HD and non HD material from what I can gather from the manual.

That appears to me to be a solution to TV playback for now.
I'd like to be able to burn a DVD (HD) but until the format war is over and the drive prices drop I am going to have to wait.

Reaction score
If your TV supports 720p, 1080p, then the macbook can certainly output it. You can get a Mini-DVI to analog adapter and connect it that way. There's not much difference between analog and digital (though the latter is of course better).

I have the Mini-DVI to analog adapter, is there a digital version? if so what kind of output does it have? Component, HDMI, other?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh I didn't see you mentioned the 9 point connection while the analog output will be 15pin D-sub or something. So yeah, it depends on what TV inputs are accepted and according to that get the right mini-DVI to whatever converter. Component output cables are also available by the way. Others I'm not sure of.

Reaction score
Is it possible to output back to the video camera?
You could then hook the camera to the TV, not optimal but it would work.

Yes, this is how my friend does it. He has the HV20, and he will record his HD footage, transfer it to iMovie HD, make his movie. He then sends the HD movie back to a "master tape" he keeps for the HV20.

We also burned a standard DVD of it, which honestly, wasn't very good, since the maximum that can display is 480p.

He was over this past weekend and we hooked up the HV20 through HDMI to my HDTV and watched some video from Traverse City, MI... which is just beautiful! It was like watching Discovery HD. I look very forward to going HD as well on my next camcorder purchase. I hope we'll have some resolution to the HD wars by then, but I highly doubt it. I look forward to the day we can simply burn to HD-DVD or Blu Ray for $2.00 a disc and watch it anywhere... and yes, I know this is still a LONG way off :Smirk:

So to answer your question, the camera to HDTV works wonders for him. Like I said, he just keeps a "Master DV" tape and adds all his movies he wants to keep, to that tape.

Tom

Reaction score
Thanks Tom, that sound workable. I to look forward to moving to an HD video camera. By the way, did you friend taking an still with that HV20? How did they turn out? Do you think it is good enough to replace a standard digital camera so they you can just use one device. I know that HV20 is pretty small and it would be nice to have just one device.

Reaction score
Rdean,

I just asked him about that. His reply, "still shots are excellent, and the burst mode, of grabbing multiple shots and finding the best one, is very nice as well. You can get Standard Def grabs or some very high quality HD grabs."

I'm not sure if he'd replace his tiny digital camera with this, but it sounds nice if you only want to carry one device around with you on your trip, or whatever...

Tom

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.