Windows error message: What do I need to do?

Reaction score
I am trying to empty my recycle bin on a Windows XP machine. Several files give me this error message.

Cannot delete Dc396: It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again.

There are no programs running on the machine when I get the message. Windows won't let me move or delete the files.

Do anyone know why I get this message and what I can do to delete the files affected?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.33 Ghz. 512MB Leopard Airport Bluetooth
try to restart first. If that doesn't work you need to figure out what programs are associated with these files. Then you can press CTRL + ALT + DEL and go to the processes tab and find the process that is running that is keeping you from deleting. if you are not familiar with it at all then a google search would be sufficient. If you dont all of the processes then you can also search for those on google. Could be time consuming just use some common sense and it should be a piece of cake.

LWC

Reaction score
If rebooting and trying to delete the files again doesn't work, then download
Unlocker here.
It's an explorer extension that will let you right click on the file and unlock it
so it can be deleted.
Good luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.