Back To My Mac-Work with Network Drives?

Reaction score
I am interested in the Back to My Mac feature of OS X Leopard. I currently have a USB Hard Drive on my Airport Base Station. I want to upgrade it to a true Network Ethernet Based Hard Drive (NAS) and am looking for a hard drive that has the AFP Protocol and HFS +.
My Questions:
By doing this will I be able to use it with Back to My Mac. I remember Steve Jobs showing it at MacWorld and how he could access over .mac/internet his Mac Pro at his home. Will it work with this or do you need to use it only with Hard Drive inside an actual Mac Computer or a Hard Drive on a Airport Base Station. I am hoping it works with a NAS Hard Drive.
Also, I am looking for advice on a Hard Drive like this. I've heard there are few HFS+/AFP Hard Drives and have not found any yet.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I am interested in the Back to My Mac feature of OS X Leopard. I currently have a USB Hard Drive on my Airport Base Station. I want to upgrade it to a true Network Ethernet Based Hard Drive (NAS) and am looking for a hard drive that has the AFP Protocol and HFS +.
My Questions:
By doing this will I be able to use it with Back to My Mac. I remember Steve Jobs showing it at MacWorld and how he could access over .mac/internet his Mac Pro at his home. Will it work with this or do you need to use it only with Hard Drive inside an actual Mac Computer or a Hard Drive on a Airport Base Station. I am hoping it works with a NAS Hard Drive.
Also, I am looking for advice on a Hard Drive like this. I've heard there are few HFS+/AFP Hard Drives and have not found any yet.

"Back to my Mac" is a .Mac feature ($99/year) and works in tandem with that service. I don't believe you can use a NAS for it as it's designed to synchronize multiple Macs.

The feature you might be thinking of is Time Machine, but I'm not sure that you can use a NAS for it - it's more geared toward locally attached HDDs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
The back to my mac feature also incorporates screen sharing, so even though the NAS won't be listed as a shared drive in the shared listing, you'll be able to remote the host mac and move files to a location you can access via the shared listing.

It may even be possible to access an alias to the NAS in a share of the remote mac, dunno, haven't tried it. Permissions may be an issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.