sound limiter?

Reaction score
i wasint sure if this has been talked about on this forum before but in all the threads that i have read people just bable about the speakers sucking blah blah....

so here is whats up. i have a macbook new about 4 months old. i have noticed that its just not loud enough, i have learned to live with it. today i choose to listen to music through bootcamp and it was a lot louder like 3-4 times louder. so i know that the speakers are capable of reaching that loudness. so what i am thinking is that there is a limiter on leopard and tiger?

thanks and please dont post stupid things that dont solve anything.. like the speakers suck because they dont its the software. unless apple is doing this to avoid blowing out the speakers.

thanks, matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well maybe it's the sound settings being a little misleading. As in the fact windows and OS X. Well if you set the sound level to the same on both, the actual sound output from the speakers might not be the same. It's just how each system works.

And my question to you is Can you get the speakers to get to a sound level of your liking in OS X? I know for me I like to have them around the 2-4 squares level. (using the sound up and down keys of the keyboard). If nothing works for you on OS X then it might be something else. And are all apps in OS X experiencing this issue?

Reaction score
i wasint sure if this has been talked about on this forum before but in all the threads that i have read people just bable about the speakers sucking blah blah....

The topic did come up here a year and a half ago .... and I've come across a thread on another forum that dates back to 2005.

The only solutions I've come across is to either beef up the Equaliser in iTunes or use VLC and set the volume as high as it will go as that apparently is quite loud.

I just tested iTunes vs VLC and VLCs volume was much louder that iTunes ....

As for why the volume is louder in Boot Camp .. it seems there's only speculation about that .... but you're probably right about some sort of limiter as the speakers are quite small and may be prone to blow. I guess that XP wouldn't have any such limiter as it's a Microsoft product and therefore wouldn't have the inbuilt software or whatever it is that has the intentions of preserving the life of the speaker. Maybe XP would have this if it was pre-installed on a Windows Laptop?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.