com.apple.ichat.plist lockdown

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I know this sounds really strange but I want to know if anyone had any ideas how to lock down and keep locked down the com.apple.ichat.plist file under ~/Library/Preferences folder. Basically I am IT technician in a school. We use bonjour ichat out here which is great and works great, but the students delete their com.apple.ichat.plist file which starts the ichat setup up again and they use obscenities in the user name field, which displays as their user name when logged into ichat. I have played around with it and it seems to recreate itself quite easily when you lock it down. Any Ideas would be great
Thanks in Advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Set user accounts that are "guest" accounts.. and NOT "Admin" accounts....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
The accounts are managed mobile accounts. Admin is not turned on. Do you have any other ideas? Thanks

Here's another idea... In terminal type:

sudo chflags schg

Then drag the .plist file you mentioned above, and drop it in Terminal.

Press Enter

You will be prompted for your password. (you will NOT see the characters as they are typed). After entering your password press enter.

Does that work for what you are wanting?????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Glad it helped keep those pesky kids from using explicit screen names :D:D:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.