Ethernet Broken - Would AppleCare cover this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 1GB 667 MHz RAM, 160GB 5400rpm HDD
The Ethernet socket on my MacBook (purchased December 2006) has stopped working.

It had never been particularly reliable, but because I use it every day I didn't want to send it off for repair.

Now it has stopped working completely. I know this is hardware issue (not related to software). I know OSX inside out.

My question is:

If I bought a MacBook AppleCare plan, would they repair this free of charge?

Thank you.

Reaction score
If the MB is still within the initial 1 year warranty you should still be entitled to have it fixed under warranty then ... I'd take it in toute suite/pronto!

Regarding your question though, seeing as this is a Hardware issue, unless you have contributed to the damage it should be repaired under warranty.

Regarding purchasing an AppleCare Protection Plan ... some disagree with paying for this extra protection and I can only talk from my own experience. I bought an ACPPlan for my iMac in the last week of the 1st year as I'd encountered several issues and felt it a necessary step. Seeing that you have a portable and not a desktop Mac, then I would advise you buy it but I'm only echoing what I've seen already advised here on Mac-Forums regarding portables/desktops & AppleCare.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.