Safari unstable?

C

Cloudane

Safari unstable? (answer: no)

Update 27/04/05 - dug this up just to show how some problems can be fixed, and how stable the OS is. I no longer have any problems with Safari.

---------------

Safari has "Unexpectedly Quit" more times than I've had hot dinners recently.

Is this normal behaviour (i.e. time to switch to another browser), something that can be fixed or a possible hardware problem (C&C Generals unexpectedly quit earlier too)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Definetley something out of the ordinary...Never happened over here... Not sure what the problem is though,

OP
T

TylerMoney

mine has Unexpectedly a few times, but it has been quite a while. Is your safari completely up to date?

OP
C

Cloudane

Completely up to date.
I just rummaged through the history here and the best suggestion was to empty cache and fix permissions so we'll see how that goes...

In the mean time is there anything similar to memtest86 for the Mac? i.e. something that will extensively test memory.

OP
V

vuschejan

Cloudane said:
Completely up to date.
I just rummaged through the history here and the best suggestion was to empty cache and fix permissions so we'll see how that goes...

In the mean time is there anything similar to memtest86 for the Mac? i.e. something that will extensively test memory.

Is it safe to empty everything in the safari cache folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Sure, empty cache folder from the Safari menu. No worries.

If Safari is giving u loadsa problems, try using IE/Mozilla, etc. for a couple of days and see what happens when u switch back to Safari. If the problem persists, stay away from it.

OP
M

mmxx66

Cloudane said:
Safari has "Unexpectedly Quit" more times than I've had hot dinners recently.

I´m having the same problem , is there a way to make a clean reinstall of safari?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM
Yeah, I've had it quit a couple times in the two or so weeks I've had my new PowerBook G4, but the last time was over a week ago and it hasnt' happened since, so I'm just going to go ahead and think it was a fluke.

OP
C

Cloudane

As far as I can tell, it's built into OS X a bit like IE is built into Windows.

You can empty the cache, remove (User:)Library:Safari and remove (User):Library:preferences:com.apple.Safari.plist as far as I know.

It's being a pain in the backside on mine still, on all 3 of my user accounts despite deleting preferences etc. The latest crash log featured:

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000000

And lots of other info. I'm told it's probably bad RAM, but it passes all tests I throw at it, as does the hard drive *shrugs*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Cloudane said:
As far as I can tell, it's built into OS X a bit like IE is built into Windows.

Nope, it's not. It's an application like any other, and can be removed like any other app, which isn't possible with IE for Windows, because it's part of the system, since Win98.

The problem is that Safari is installed with the OS X DVD/CDs, and the trouble is to find it, to install it again without doing a system reinstall.

But clearing all caches/cookies/preferences and repair permission would be a good start to resolve troubles...

cc RAM: Did you try the Apple hardware test?

OP
C

Cloudane

Yes I left the Apple hardware test overnight and also tried something called ramcheck. Seems fine. It's also Apple certified RAM. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just the first thing everyone points their fingers at with Macs for some reason :)

Just tried getting Onyx to clear the virtual memory files and other maintenance stuff and will see how that goes. Failing that I'm about ready to reinstall OS X from scratch, and failing that it's the dreaded attempts to get it replaced under warranty because "it sometimes crashes" (I can hear them laughing right now)

OP
M

m1k

Well, it once crashed while I was looking at nekked wemmung...

Try resetting Safari (Safari Menu->Reset Safari). It might help.

OP
C

Cloudane

*dig dig dig*

*rummage*

Well, about 6 months since getting a replacement RAM chip and - I kid you not - my Powerbook hasn't crashed or even had an application unexpectedly quit once. :D

Moral 1: Listen to the gurus.

Moral 2: Most awesome OS, ever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
mmxx66 said:
I´m having the same problem , is there a way to make a clean reinstall of safari?
if you just want to reinstall safari, use pacifist to extract it fro the os install discs and thats it.

OP
C

Cloudane

Sorry if I confuse anyone, but this is a thread from 2004. Just wanted to illustrate a point.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.