G5 or Mac Mini

Reaction score
I am going to buy my family a mac for christmas. I have seen very nice looking G5 isight imacs for the same price as the new intel high end mini. by the way its the 2.1 imac and the 2.0 mini i am referring to. which one is better and which will run leopard faster. I know the mini already has leopard on it and the g5 doesn't. both 1 gb ram but a 500 gb hd vs a 120 gb hd. The imac has built in wireless and bluetooth as does the mini. Which one is better? Thanks

OP
J
Reaction score
I am going to buy my family a mac for christmas. I have seen very nice looking G5 isight imacs for the same price as the new intel high end mini. by the way its the 2.1 imac and the 2.0 mini i am referring to. which one is better and which will run leopard faster. I know the mini already has leopard on it and the g5 doesn't. both 1 gb ram but a 500 gb hd vs a 120 gb hd. The imac has built in wireless and bluetooth as does the mini. Which one is better? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
which mini are you looking at? the 2.0GHZ C2D mini has built-in airport and bluetooth. i would go with the mini if you already have a nice display. the C2D would run OSX.5 alot better than the 2.1 GHz G5. I have a 1.9 G5 and i like my wife's 1.83 CD alot better. you can also inexpensively attach an external drive later on if you need the room.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
aluminium PowerBook G4 first gen
G5 is nice, however. Intel sucks less juice.

Reaction score
If they already have a monitor and keyboard and such I would go for the Mini.

If not or a CRT monitor, definitely the iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
For the same price iMac has much more to offer than a MacMini. Though iMac has a G5 processor, running Leopard wont be a problem at all. The iMac also comes with a separate graphic card which would enhance your multimedia experience. Don't forget the Mini is just an entry level Mac. The iMac G5 with iSight is the last upgrade of the power processor series meaning, most bug free of all iMacs. I would go for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I would choose the mini over the iMac if you have the LCD, keyboard and mouse already.
The iMac may be an all-in-one system but I assume you're buying it from a 3rd party. If something would to ever go wrong with it in the next year, it will come out of your pocket.
If you buy the mini new it comes with a 1 year warranty, upgradable to 3 if you buy the AppleCare before the first year is over.
The iMac might have the dedicated video card but the Mini will preform a lot faster.
I looked at some Geekbench scores and the Mini almost doubles the performance of the 2.1GHz G5 iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
I have a 17" Imac Intel core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz and I love it. I have a mac mini 1.83 as well and my Imac is much faster than the mac mini. I like the mini but I prefer imacs...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I have a 17" Imac Intel core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz and I love it. I have a mac mini 1.83 as well and my Imac is much faster than the mac mini. I like the mini but I prefer imacs...

Yea, that is true. A Core 2 Duo iMac would perform better than the older Core Duo Mini. But it doesn't sound like a new iMac is in the budget.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.