• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Ready to purchase Final Cut Studio 2 but....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz 4GBRAM 750GIG HD FCS2, Aperture.
Hi all, Im a new Mac owner . Been using Adobe Premiere for a while on a windows machine. I got fed up with all the problems it gave me. And was ready to convert to Mac. Since video editing will be my primary use of this new iMac, i wanted to make sure i have the right specs onboard before i clunk down the money for FCS. Its the new gen iMac 2.4 GHz Intel core 2 Duo with 2GB of ram and 750GB HD running OS 10.5.1. I realize the more Ram the better, but I'm hoping 2 will get me by. By the way i will be editing Standard Definition Mini DV. No High def at this point. I am willing to set through longer rendering times. I just want to make sure the mac wont freeze up or even crash. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. Apple makes a great computer and i can't wait to get started editing.

Thanks...Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I do light video editting on my G4 iBook in Final Cut Express and have no problems with it.. It does get sluggish with the bigger videos and effects that I use, but for what I do, it's fine.

Your new iMac should fly in FCS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
You'll be fine with that machine and those specs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
Instead of getting the RAM through Apple, get 4GB's from somewhere else like NewEgg.com or Crucial.com. You can get 2-2GB sticks for less than the Apple 1GB upgrade cost($150). Then you will have plenty of headroom.

Reaction score
You will be fine. I use a new MacBook Pro with 2GB of ram with FC Studio 2 and it runs awesome. Render times are not going to be as bad as you think. I render off of a 320GB Firewire External HDD and render times are still not bad, and you will be rendering from your Master HDD so it should be faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
You will be fine. I use a new MacBook Pro with 2GB of ram with FC Studio 2 and it runs awesome. Render times are not going to be as bad as you think. I render off of a 320GB Firewire External HDD and render times are still not bad, and you will be rendering from your Master HDD so it should be faster.

Have you edited any HD stuff? How is the performance with it?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i just istalled 2gigs more of ram. and the iMac is now maxed out. I guess I'm ready to dive into Final Cut Studio :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB
Yeah you would've been fine with 2GB, but 4GB will be perfect (in the event that you venture into the realm of HDV). Good call on the big hard drive, your iMac should be great, hope you enjoy FCS 2. I envy you! :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah you would've been fine with 2GB, but 4GB will be perfect (in the event that you venture into the realm of HDV). Good call on the big hard drive, your iMac should be great, hope you enjoy FCS 2. I envy you! :)

Thanks...It's only a matter of time before i get into Hi Def. Once my finances recover from the purchases of the Mac and the software. I will be ready to make the transition and get a HD Cam. Thanks to everyone who responded in this thread.

Steve

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.