2.4 MBP sluggish out of box

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Man, I love this forum, but that’s a whole different thread.

Anyway, I bought a MBP 2.4 about a week ago. This machine is used for work only and reliability is very important to me.

The machine is very sluggish AT TIMES. The mouse cursor starts being jerky and the dock etc isn’t smooth anymore. Text input is delayed. CPU usage is about 5% on both cores with loads of RAM left.

Further the machine is very unstable compared to my other macs. I restart three or four times per day. This is normally because the whole system hangs except the mouse. I did a live feed for broadcast off it on Saturday and lost keyboard halfway through.

The machine came with tiger installed and leopard disc. Obviously I immediately did a clean install of leopard. I had all these problems plus a few kernel panics, so I clean installed tiger and installed all my apps. The sluggishness was still there. I was upset. I did a clean install of tiger again (installed only QS and office 08 beta this time). Still the same problems.

I find this very strange, since all my other macs run like a dream. Can it maybe be office beta 08 causing this? Any background services I can kill? I killed that MS AUdaemon at startup. (note that office 08 beta and leopard runs like a dream on all my other machines.)

The current install is tiger 10.4.11 with all updates. Running only latest quicksilver and a beta of MS office. Has anyone had this problem?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: When I tried to install tiger again, the machine would just spit out that specific CD. (other cds were fine) Other macs read that disc. Anyway, I got it working after about 7 tries. Nothing huge, but it just adds to the disappointment.

Reaction score
I have a 2.2 machine, purchases in august, it is working very well for me system locked up once on me that was it, but i am having one problem i have to click shutdown twice to make it follow the command,

maybe phone apple?

OP
Henvan20
Reaction score
I have a 2.2 machine, purchases in august, it is working very well for me system locked up once on me that was it, but i am having one problem i have to click shutdown twice to make it follow the command,

maybe phone apple?

Im taking it in on monday, but im pretty sure they will say "well, thats just the way it is..."

Any error logs I can check maybe?

Reaction score
Not to sure, but maybe if u just come out with u feel that its not meeting the standards that it is listed to do or something, im sure they will be happy to help u,

OP
Henvan20
Reaction score
Not to sure, but maybe if u just come out with u feel that its not meeting the standards that it is listed to do or something, im sure they will be happy to help u,

Yes, maybe, but I cant really replicate a crash in store, can I? ;-) Random problems are hard to deal with, so I dont expect them to help me.

For most tasks even my mac MINI feels a LOT more responsive and thats driving a 24" screen.

On the MBP for instance, when you go to the file or edit menu, the blue doesnt follow the cursor. Its lags a bit behind...

Reaction score
Yeah man i knw wat u mean it sucks when its that sort of problem dont worry, maybe have a videocamera near by it the case of a crash or anythin and video it with u talk bout wots happenin and then showin them that,

OP
Henvan20
Reaction score
Yes! Found the problem. Airport was set to "keep looking for networks" and it searched every 3 seconds, writing to error log also. The MBP is now screaming fast.

(Took it to a genius by the way. They offered to replace the airport card and were very helpful overall, so 10/10 for apple service)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.