sync iTunes

F

fabio

hi

we've got a iMac 20", and since a week also a iBook 14".
now, my whole music is on the iMac.
is it somehow possible to transfer all the music from the iMac to the iBook with keeping the Playlists??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
when i want to transfer music, movies, etc. that are too big for a cd I use a special firewire cable ( 6 pin Male-to-Male) so you can access one anothers HD and copy the playlists over...or you could just burn a data cd

OP
F

fabio

okey, is this the only way??
the thing with the "boot-as-firewire-hd" i already knew.
okey, then.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Or just set up a network (LAN) connection between the 2, and send the files to the ibook that way (slightly more complicated than the firewire solution though, unless you have them on a network anyway...)

OP
M

MoltenLava

I went through that a few weeks back. You can't transfer the playlists. Yeah, that sucks, but that's the way it is. Just transfer the songs you want, and recreate playlists.

Another lacking feature in iTune is that when you share your library through iTune to other computer, it show up as playlist-like. In other words, you can't create playlist out of shared music. If you have multiple computers with one iTune server and want to share songs, the options are very limited.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
But if you access shared music, you automatically can access all the playlists on the other mac... (click on the triangle next to the share)
So you can't make new ones, but you can use the ones on the other mac...

I would prefer a 2nd library view for shared music libraries though...

PLUS I just checked: you can transfer the playlists:

Right-click on the playlist you want, export it as a txt file, and then reimport it on the new machine. This only works with regular playlists however, smart playlists are reimported as regular ones as well...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.