adding songs from ipod to itunes library?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
would appreciate a quick response ( this is for my girlfriend whos a bit well slow on computers (no offence lucy) ) shes using itunes on windows by the way

thanks

jordan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
Was the ipod formatted from the computer you want to put the songs onto? If it was, you should be able to drag and drop songs (if you're on manage music manually) into your music library.

Now, if your ipod was not formatted on that computer, then you cannot. Apple restricts you from being able to upload music to other computers besides the home computer so that people can't illegally share music.

There are 3rd party programs which can rip the music files from the protected ipod but I believe that's illegal, and this forum isn't for that kind of stuff.

You're better off taking the music files from the computer you formatted the ipod with and putting it on a CD and then importing that CD on the windows computer.

OP
Mac_OS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks everyone i will tell her tomorrow....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard

Yeah, that's the program I've used. But is it technically illegal? I'm not really sure. Wouldn't it be breaking the security of the ipod (just curious)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Hmm. Shouldn't you be able legally use your device with the software you want to use it with? Anyway, Senuti doesn't do anything to the player. It might break it's software, but nothing that iTunes can't restore with a click.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G
Senuti is perfectly legal if you take the songs you own off your iPod to put on a new computer of yours or put it back on a computer after a clean OS install. Now if you start using it to take other people's music off of their iPod (music you don't own), then it's illegal. But it's your actions that are illegal, not the program.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And Senuti is a Mac only app. It won't work on her windows machine.
If you're trying to get legal music back onto her machine that somehow was deleted or something you can try EphPod.

OP
Mac_OS
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so to recap, if its not formatted to her comp it wont work? (I know its not by the way) So basically she cant...... legally. Thanks for everyone's help, but be careful i think we're on thin ice here with forum rules...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Funny...this has all be discussed before. Did you even try searching to find the answer first?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.