Need simple Xcode explanation for C++

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - 2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - 160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400RPM - 2 GB RAM
OK, so i'm a new computer science student and I really enjoy programming and all the assignments i've been given thus far. However, I'm sick of having to go to a lab on campus to use Microsoft Visual Studios 2005 to write my programs. I've tried reading through the Xcode documentation and cannot catch on to just build a project like I would in Visual Studios. So, can someone please transcribe or refer me to a useful explanation of this and please DON'T refer me to the Apple Developers page because i've covered that already without much luck.

I just want to be able to know how to do the equivalent of:

-Creating the equivalent of a new Win32 Console project with the source file being a .cpp file

-Being able to build it and have the errors and warnings show like they should

-And then how to run the program and (presumably) have my code run in the command prompt like it does in visual studios.

I fear the Xcode just has a steeper learning curve than Visual Studios and I understand it is NOT Visual Studios, so i'd obviously assume some things will function differently. I don't care, though, i just want to be able to program efficiently on my mac and build and run everything like I would on a PC instead of having to run to one of the research labs on campus.

ANY insight is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.