My charger is melting :S

cas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz 512mb Mac OSX 10.4.8
Like 3 months ago, a friend's macbook charger got melted by the connector..
:S
after that i was being careful with mine... but today i realized that it just stared to melt... it stills working but i cant have it connected for more than 20 min cause it gets too hot..
what can i do to prevent this?
please help... the charger replacement is nothing cheap :s

thanx
n_n

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Like 3 months ago, a friend's macbook charger got melted by the connector..
after that i was being careful with mine... but today i realized that it just stared to melt... it stills working but i cant have it connected for more than 20 min cause it gets too hot..
what can i do to prevent this?
please help... the charger replacement is nothing cheap :s

thanx
n_n

Is it literally melting, or is it just getting hotter than you think it should? They normally do get very hot, and can be uncomfortable to handle. But if the plastic is quite literally melting (turning yellow or getting soft), than I'm afraid you're going to need a replacement.

Reaction score
Check for metal filings in the connector. Because of the magnets, metal filings can be attracted to your charger and short it out.

OP
cas

cas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes is literally melting
there a little part that is yellow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
even if the machine is out of warranty, id see what an apple store will do for you. just take the adapter there, and they may very well just give you a new one.

even if it goes out of warranty, and the adapter melts, and starts a fire, you bet your butt you can sue them for damages.
im 90% sure theyll replace it for you.

EDIT: not saying sueing is always the first course of action, like 50% of americans, but sometimes thats what it takes.

Reaction score
I have heard since this first started happening that Apple will send out a replacement for free. Just call them.

OP
cas

cas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
I have one of the first Gen macbooks... 2.0 CoreDuo and my charger recently did the exact same thing, it melted right near the magnet connector. I took my macbook and melted charger up to the Apple Store two days ago and they helped me right away! Even though there was a 30 min wait for an "appointment" with one of the "geniuses" and the store was PACKED with xmas shoppers they got to me right away and within 10 minutes I was out with a free replacement charger! Two thumbs up to apple customer service!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
I have one of the first Gen macbooks... 2.0 CoreDuo and my charger recently did the exact same thing, it melted right near the magnet connector. I took my macbook and melted charger up to the Apple Store two days ago and they helped me right away! Even though there was a 30 min wait for an "appointment" with one of the "geniuses" and the store was PACKED with xmas shoppers they got to me right away and within 10 minutes I was out with a free replacement charger! Two thumbs up to apple customer service!!!

of course you were. anything to get that bad charger out of your hand before new customers in their store start asking you "why?"

Im surprised they didnt tackle you at the door :)

Reaction score
I am scared of my charger lol, it gets very hot ( im ok with this) but when u hold it to ur ear there is a very funny noise lol this happen anybody else?

Reaction score
I am scared of my charger lol, it gets very hot ( im ok with this) but when u hold it to ur ear there is a very funny noise lol this happen anybody else?

i have had the same problem with my charger. Ive gone through like 3 chargers in the past year. It starts getting really hot then it melts and doesent work anymore. I called apple and they give a a replacement charger but you have to pay for it until u send the old charger back to them. I'm beginning to hate macs cuz they have alot of problems

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.