Dual Monitors

V

VastDeathmaster

I have an eMac 1.25Ghz, 40gig HDD, and 256mb PC3200 memory.
I have the external monitor cable from my iBook and tried to use it on the eMac. I thought I could use a second monitor, but the computer is treating it as an extension of the original display. (ie two displays of the same desktop.)

The manual that came with the computer seemed to imply that I could set it so that my desktop would span across both monitors, but I could not find a button that would apply this.

The emac is almost 3 weeks old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
uh..... nope. For the lower end models, (eMac, iBook) you can only mirror their screens. There is some applescript though that lets you make it the normal way(extension of screen). I'll have to find it though. :( ugh. That might take awhile. Better start looking through the 200gigs of data starting now!

OP
V

VastDeathmaster

"I am smart S-M-R-T.....I mean s-m-a-r-t......"

I found it via google. I found my laptop is too old to work, but my eMac isn't!

Hey, if you find out about the screen spanning backgrounds let me know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
OP
B

Badger

This is the link to the one I found on Google:
http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html. It is also listed in MacUpdate.
According to a note posted on Low End Mac by the author, the script changes a setting in Open Firmware that Apple locked to prevent screen spanning. Maybe someone can let us know if they try it.
Badger

OP
V

VastDeathmaster

I'd have to search again to find the SpanDoctor thingy, but I ran it on my eMac and my 19" monitor can now act as that spanned screen. Its cool. It appears I can move the screen to the top, bottom, left or right. Because of the way my system is setup, the 19" monitor and thus the display is off to the left. I can be playing Diablo on one screen and have an open window on the other. It's too bad there aren't a lot of programs that work with screen spanning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
i am also a little scared to try it on my eMac it took me ages to get it, will it void the apple care plan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
I installed it. works fine. i use second display (TV) to playback movies. but there is a problem, when i play movie fulscreen the movie defaults to eMac display instead of desired TV. any ideas how can i fix it?

OP
V

VastDeathmaster

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/supportlist_e.html
Above is a list of compatible iBooks, iMacs and eMacs.
I have a 600mhz iBook which is not compatible, but my new eMac is.

I have installed the program. I have an icon up by the clock to change screen res and one of the options is to turn spanning on and off.

I think it would look better if my second monitor were 17" instead of 19.

I haven't tried this with videos. Maybe I can play different movies at the same time on different screens. THAT would give me a headache :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.