second display fake resolution

Reaction score
I bought a Macbook pro about a week ago and I decided to plug it into my 24" widescreen Dell monitor (DVI). I basically wanted to use my macbook as a cpu, and be able to close the screen and use my dell monitor. So first I tried the "expanded" desktop, all is good. The problem came when I turned on mirroring. When I go to my display options, two boxes appear. The one on my macbook said that the res was 1440x900, that's how its always been. My second monitor says the res is 1920x1200. It didn't feel right, everything was kinda blurry and the icons were too big. After looking at the two monitors side by side, I realized that they were both on the exact same resolution. Basically, its like the second monitor just stretched 1440x900 to fit on the whole monitor. The problem is that it still says its in 1920x1200! can anyone help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I bought a Macbook pro about a week ago and I decided to plug it into my 24" widescreen Dell monitor (DVI). I basically wanted to use my macbook as a cpu, and be able to close the screen and use my dell monitor. So first I tried the "expanded" desktop, all is good. The problem came when I turned on mirroring. When I go to my display options, two boxes appear. The one on my macbook said that the res was 1440x900, that's how its always been. My second monitor says the res is 1920x1200. It didn't feel right, everything was kinda blurry and the icons were too big. After looking at the two monitors side by side, I realized that they were both on the exact same resolution. Basically, its like the second monitor just stretched 1440x900 to fit on the whole monitor. The problem is that it still says its in 1920x1200! can anyone help?

Well, yeah...that's what mirroring does. You have to take the lower of the two resolutions and stretch it onto the higher-res monitor, because it's not possible to squeeze the higher resolution onto a monitor that can't support it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.