Updated firmware?

Reaction score
I was recently prompted to update my firmware on my macbook. I followed the instructions about resetting the mac, pushing the power button until the sleep light blinks...etc. However, after I updated my firmware I can no longer access anything on my desktop. I cannot click on any folders or on the Macintosh HD icon. Also it will not allow me to have a personalized background but rather a blue screen? Did I do something wrong? Is there any way I can fix this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, bdevine.

Here are a few things you can try:

1 - Resetting the PRAM: start up holding down the Option-Command-P-R keys till you hear five beeps, then let go of the keys for the normal startup process.

2 - Restart and boot into Safe Boot mode by holding down the Shift key, log in your user account and restart again. Safe Boot mode rids the system of certain temp and cache files that could be corrupted in your case.

3 - Insert your restore disk and restart by holding down the C key. You should see in the menubar something that has to do with Disk Utility. Repair the disk and the disk permissions. Restart normally.

4 - Resetting MacBook and MacBook Pro System Management Controller (SMC).

See where these take you and report back.

Good luck! :)

OP
B
Reaction score
I reset the PRAM thing like you said and that worked. Thank you very much! For my own knowledge what does that do exactly? Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.