Spotlight and network shares

Reaction score
Hi

I have a couple of macs in the office for designers and I would like to turn off indexing of files on network drives. The drives have been created on the mac by going to the "connect to server option" in finder.

I need to disable it because the network shares have masses of files on them, and the spotlight insists on indexing, which is taking up lots of space on the server, its also causing window server 2003's file alteration monitor to crash and restart which causes all the machines to loose connection to those drives. This mainly happens when a large file is being copied from a mac to the server.

If anyone could tell me what I need to do, I've already tried drag and drop a directory from the shared drive into the list on the privacy tab in spotlights options which is supposed to stop it, but it doesn't add it to the list.

Thanks in advance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.