Appleworks?

M

mac_noobie

Hi, i just bought a powerbook and was discouraged when I learned it didnt have any decent word processing programs on it. However on a recent search on amazon I discovered that I can get a previous verion 6.2 for 45 dollars, or 50 with shipping. When I was browsing for some program downloads I ran into an appleworks update to 6.2.9, and it was about 15 mb. Would this update my current version of 6.2 to 6.2.9? Or does anyone know of any good freeware out there, I am currently using a demo of mariner word processor to get this stuff done.

However I'd like to say its a shame they don't put on some kind of decent word processor on their "top of the line models". Even the cheapest and most expensive PC comes with that. However I am still very impressed with macs and I believe they kick ass over PC (I am a recent switcher).

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Yes, the updater will update your copy to the latest version. If you qualify for Apple's educational discount, they offer AppleWorks for $39.00 on their site. If not, you should still be able to find it for a bit less than $50.00 if you shop around (and most likely much less, if you don't mind buying on eBay).

OP
M

mac_noobie

Alright, thanks alot I dont qualify yet... just in high school, however I will be soon.

Thanks

OP
W

WilliS

if you are in high school, you still qualify... you can qualify as a student of a school, a teacher of a school, a student of a college, or a teacher of a college...

check it out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
WilliS said:
if you are in high school, you still qualify... you can qualify as a student of a school, a teacher of a school, a student of a college, or a teacher of a college...

check it out

Actually, unfortunately, students in high school don't qualify for the discount.

"Shopping Agreement

Please review the following terms and conditions.

Who is Eligible To Purchase
The following education individuals are eligible to purchase through the Apple Store for Education individuals:

- Employee of public or private K-12 institutions in the United States
School Board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members
- PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers
- Qualified homeschools
- Employee of a public or private, profit or non-profit preschool"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I have Appleworks 6.2.7 and I'm very happy with it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
witeshark said:
I have Appleworks 6.2.7 and I'm very happy with it

Check Apple's site. There's s free upgrade to 6.2.9. :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Padawan said:
Actually, unfortunately, students in high school don't qualify for the discount.

"Shopping Agreement

Please review the following terms and conditions.

Who is Eligible To Purchase
The following education individuals are eligible to purchase through the Apple Store for Education individuals:

- Employee of public or private K-12 institutions in the United States
- PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers
- Qualified homeschools
- Employee of a public or private, profit or non-profit preschool"
Sorry I beg to differ.

If you look at the Apple education store. There is a section where it ask you to locate your high school. That to me means that a high school student is able to get the discount. I even found my old high school in the list of schools.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
rman said:
Sorry I beg to differ.

If you look at the Apple education store. There is a section where it ask you to locate your high school. That to me means that a high school student is able to get the discount. I even found my old high school in the list of schools.

Read the post before you respond.

Employee of public or private K-12 institutions in the United States
PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers
Qualified homeschools
Employee of a public or private, profit or non-profit preschool

Primary and secondary teachers and staff can make purchases, but not students. There's even a provison for homeschool parents.

Compare that with the store for colleges

Faculty or staff member of a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States
Student currently attending or accepted into a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States

But not high (or middle) school students.

Otherwise, everyone with children would just use the store to buy stuff at a discount in their child's name.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
technologist said:
Read the post before you respond.

With a comment like that you are asking for an agrument. I read the post. I looked at the web site. I even looked in again. If I had of gone one more page which you should have suggested we would all be on the same page.

OP
A

Applesatyr

In Canada, your must be a higher education individual to qualify (teacher/faculty, college student, or program/department buyer) in America, you can be either and qualify, though I think the discounts for college students are greater.(they also o not supply refurbs in Canada :(
Anyway, why don't you just get Mac Office ?(with student discount, it's around $200 off. You can buy from the American site and have is shipped in).
I asked someone this question before (why don't powerbooks come with [Appleworks/ a decent processor] and ibooks do). The reason (or their reply) was becuase the ibook is a consumer model, and the powerbook is for professionals, who would be more likely to purchase professional versions of progrmas. I guess it is to save space since if professionals won't use it, why waste time deleting it (not a lot of work, I know).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
rman said:
With a comment like that you are asking for an agrument. I read the post. I looked at the web site. I even looked in again. If I had of gone one more page which you should have suggested we would all be on the same page.

It was not necessary to look at any other pages, or read anything other than what was posted. The post clearly spelled out the elligibility requirements, which did not include students.

I am quite fond of the college student discounts Apple offers. They've helped me immensely in the past, and they are still helpful to real college students buying their first Macs. I see dozens of posts on these boards advocating abuse of these discounts, ex, "Have a college student buy it for you" or "If you're a High/Middle/Elementary/Preschool student, you qualify" and even a few posts suggesting use of the discounts even though they are not students in any way, shape, or form.

Students are often short of cash. Same thing with school districts. Apple, at least, recognizes this, and those discounts come straight out of Apple's profit margins. Cynics will point out that these discounts are just another way to boost market share, but plenty of companies don't bother to do this (or make it so difficult to qualify that few bother.) If the discount programs start to be a financial burden to Apple, they'll disappear. I don't want that to happen.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As I said. I read the posts, all of them. I even check the Apple site, which I was referring too.

From this point I am done.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.