Heat when streaming webcam

Reaction score
I searched the forum for this to no avail. When I'm streaming my webcam on sites like Justin.tv, ustream.tv, etc... My MacBook Pro gets really hot. It has gotten as hot as 180 degrees Fahrenheit (82 C). I know that it would obviously shut down before it got too hot to break. But I would like to have my webcam running for a fairly long time and part of me doesn't think that it's good to have it that hot. After a few minutes the fans kick on and run about 3500-4000 rpm and keep the temp at 176 F (80 C). Also I don't think it's good on the fans in the long run keeping them running at a high rpm for long periods of time. The thing that I don't understand is that even when you open the new window where you control your feed and everything, that is when the computer heats up. It heats up before you even turn on your webcam. That is what doesn't make sense to me. It seems like it might be a problem with flashplayer(?) Flashplayer works fine otherwise but whenever I open that new window before I turn on my webcam it heats up immediately. So if anyone could enlighten me on if there is a problem with flashplayer or if it doesn't matter the heat and leaving the fans running that high for a long period of time thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
Have you tried opening activity monitor during the periods of high fan usage? Usually, when that happens to me, there is process or something running rampant. This usually happened to me when I plugged in my blackberry and had to use third part software to access/update the blackberry. After updating I usually just killed the process and everything went back to normal. Most of the time with third party apps that do this it is just shoddy software, and if you report it enough, someone will hopefully do something about it.

see if something is using up a lot of your resources and then maybe you can google it.

Also, are you using the built in webcam, because there really shouldn't be a hardware issue with that.

OP
J
Reaction score
I've looked at activity monitor and it's just firefox using up all the CPU. It shoots to like around 140% CPU. Which doesn't make sense. Yes I'm using the built in isight.
EDIT Actually it goes to 160-170% CPU

OP
J
Reaction score
Sorry I gotta bump this thread. This just makes no sense. I think it might be some problem with flashplayer. I can use camtwist, imovie, whatever with my built in isight and the heat doesn't rise dramatically. Only when I stream to stickam, ustream, Justin.tv it gets super hot. Like 176 with fans running at 4000 rpms. I don't think this is good on the fans for long periods of time. Any help would be great. BTW I installed the latest version of flashplayer.

Reaction score
flash player is not the most effectve of programs... Try viewing a video in yutube and check the CPU...

Also what I've found is that firefox on mac is useless. It uses too much CPU for simply scrolling through pages... Not to mention while using flash... Try using camino (the osx version of firefox) or safari with Safari being the fastest one and less CPU hogging..

Reaction score
Please let me know if you find a solution to this. I have the exact same problem and it basically makes my isight unusable online. I understand that the macbooks get hot, but using the isight online with firefox or safari basically causes whichever browser I'm using to use 180% of my CPU...

Reaction score
interesting, cause I was wondering about streaming a webcast using my macbook pro but wasn't sure how to do it. I was thinking of using a video camera instead of the isight cam. Has anyone tried that? Just curious. Also wondering how exactly to broadcast? can you do it for free? sorry, noob here. interested in hearing reply.

Cg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.