Constantly Losing AirPort Connection with Leopard

Reaction score
Hi Everyone - I don't know if anyone else is having this problem or knows of a solution. I installed Leopard the week that it came out and almost every day when my Mac mini wakes up from sleep mode I have no internet connection. I restart and nothing. I am set up on a network with AirPort Express. I have it marked as a closed network. Security is set as WPA Personal and it is listed as my Preferred Network. This is also the first network I have set up so perhaps my settings are wrong. This is extremely frustrating. Can someone please help me? Thanks much.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
WIFI is flaky under Leopard compared to Tiger - but the recent Apple updates have improved things, run the software update program and see if it improves.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, flaky it is. At least mine is - loose connection at least once a day.
Few days ago applied all firmware updates to my router.
Am up to date with all available updates on my MBP.
Am going through right now and selecting one channel at a time instead of using auto to see if I can find a channel that will work continuously. Am about half way through and no luck yet.

Using WPA2 and n only network. Have not tried g only. Once I go thru all the channels, that'll be my next try.

Lost connection in fact while making this post.
Do have success reconnecting (usually) by merely turning Airport off and back on.
I do not however have the issue of it not connecting upon waking from sleep. It always is on at that point.
Mine goes out during use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", MacBook
I feel your pain. My MacBook keeps dropping the connection to the airport several times an hour since installing Leopard. Same issues with a Sony laptop on the same network. I have checked for updates and everything is current on the Airport.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
Same here and once a week I have to power my airport express router off and back on in order for it to be seen anymore. It's only a couple months old too...

T

Reaction score
I've seen that the airport express isn't as good compared to the airport extremes. Too bad they don't make those anymore. I haven't really used Leopard yet so I can't say that I experienced any connectivity issues. I would trash the network settings you have and redo them and maybe reboot the airport and cable modem hooked to it.

Reaction score
same boat: airport & dropped connections

i'm a new mac user. i have a new macbook, i installed leopard when i took it out of the box. i have been experiencing dropped internet connections from day 1. nothing has helped (including "updates" from apple). other than this issue, i love the machine. i have not seen any concrete solutions to this problem. please help!

Reaction score
My girlfriends Macbook is experiencing the same problems. Why can my Powerbook see my Airport Express but her Macbook can't? We have both upgraded to Leopard and mine works fine but hers doesn't. Weird.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Although I've not experienced these flaky Leopard airport problems, I have read about them. One non-Leopard thing you might want to try is changing the channel your router is broadcasting on. By default, most (if not all) routers come set on channel 6. Even though they are on different networks, there is still only so much bandwidth each channel can handle. There are 11 to choose from so finding one that isn't being used in your area shouldn't be too difficult. To find out what wireless networks your airport card is detecting and see what channel they are on is to download/install a copy of iStumbler.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Start by reading this FAQ - let us know if you have questions once you've tried some of the suggestions.

Reaction score
I have tried all the solutions and no luck. Bottom line, leopard SUCKS with wifi. It won't connect on wake or start and drops out CONSTANTLY. I have two windows machines and an ubuntu machine, all with wifi, all work perfectly. It is a leopard thing I am convinced, since this is such a common complaint, and always to do with leopard, not tiger.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Nope, not Leopard only. Mine definitely was a problem in Tiger and I was not alone. Although my issue had to do with the airport cards used in this particular machine. My issue has been sorted and have had no issues since 10.5.3.

On any of these machines within the warranty period, would take them back to the Apple store and get it sorted out. There are too many people not having issues at all. Have already seen at least a couple of posts where the issue was a loose connection of the antenna.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Someone on here recommended setting your router manually to Channel 11 as Apple machines prefer this - I tried it myself (only half believing it) and now my connection never drops - 3 Macs in the house, 2 Leopards and a Tiger.

Hope this helps, let us know if it works so I'll know if I was just lucky

Cheers :)

Hugh

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Someone on here recommended setting your router manually to Channel 11 as Apple machines prefer this - I tried it myself (only half believing it) and now my connection never drops - 3 Macs in the house, 2 Leopards and a Tiger.

Hope this helps, let us know if it works so I'll know if I was just lucky

Cheers :)

Hugh

Meh.... channel 11 is one of the most commonly used channels. If you're going to butt heads with another wifi router, it will almost certainly be on channel 11. I'd suggest something toward the lower end of the spectrum (but not 6).

Reaction score
Diffen couraged

I dont know if there has been released a update for this problem but I just got a mac mini a few days ago and found this same problem. but it seems to be fixed if i have the the power setting to be that it never turns off.

If there acutely is a way to fix it then let me know plz

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.