downloading gifs

Reaction score
How do I save a gif from a website so I can send it on to a friend in an email with it still actually moving?
With a PC it was right-click, save as... but with my Mac I'm only able to save one of it's embedded images, and it doesn't move! Which is a bit annoying as I've just found a brilliant one and I want to save it and send it in an email... any suggestions? I seem to have exhausted the talents of the ctrl button.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
How about dragging it to the desktop? Also, you could just as well embed the link of the gif in your email.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Open that gif separate. Then go to File > Save as > kaboom! (at least it did on mine :) )

Although, even dragging the file to the desktop saved it as an animated gif. The only problem is, Preview can't display animated gifs instead displaying only one frame. Open up the gif in quicktime player or some other app that is capable of displaying animated gifs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You aren't saving just one frame... it's all there. The problem is that he needs to view the file with an application that supports animated GIF. Any web browser is a sure thing as long as he hasn't selected a preference in his web browser to disable animations.

OP
B
Reaction score
Yeah, it's all there - I opened it in Quicktime. Trouble is, I can't see it moving anywhere but Quicktime or Safari. Being a Switcher, I'm used to seeing gifs moving all the time, no matter where they are. In fact, on a PC they move so much you end up wanting to switch them off!
I'd quite like to see it moving in Mac Mail before I send the email - just to be sure it really is working. Any thoughts?

M

MacHeadCase

Xee lets you view animated .gifs just fine. I use Tiger and it works fine, dunno about Leopard though.

As for the animation showing up in Mail.app, I don't think there is support in the app right now for this. You might want to check Hawk Wings to see if there any add-ons you could use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep. Using Xee here. Works fine. Just send the thing via mail mate, it will work. If at all you want to test it, send it to yourself on a web based email account and open it in Safari or something.

@MHC: WTH! You haven't upgraded to Leopard yet?! Puzzling to say the least....

M

MacHeadCase

Not puzzling at all. Waiting for a couple of patches before making the jump. Too many apps have to work correctly and have no time to spend on making things work perfectly because of school.

And am also counting on you to be my number 1 beta tester. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.