Windows .ISO .IMG

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm planning on installing windows xp on my mac using boot camp. I partitioned my drive and I have my windows cd key but I can't find my xp install cd. What I found was a burned copy of the cd in iso on some random cd-r as backup a long time ago. I burned it with nero and disc utility as an image cds and still no luck. The error says something about boot camp not finding an xp install cd and please wait a few moments for mac to find it but no dice. The .iso's burn as images but remain .iso files on the cd. Am I burning it wrong or do i seriously need an official copy of the install or is there some sort of special mac boot file I need to incorporate with the .iso THanks for your time guys/girls :Smirk:

-Jerry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I'm not sure of the legality of your actions, but for the purpose of how it works, here goes:

You need to drag the disk image (ISO) into the disk utility (Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility) sidebar. Then click on it and select burn.

OP
J
Reaction score
hmm that's how i believe it was burned. The final cd product contains only the .iso file. I was wondering if the .iso is supposed to be extracted during the burn process so the CD contains all the smaller files, or is it supposed to only contain the .iso only.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is it possible that there is an ISO inside the ISO?

Also, try mounting the ISO and then burning it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Double-click it. Should open up with the disk mounting thing. If it opens with Toast, then right-click > Open With > Disk Image something...

OP
J
Reaction score
do i burn the mounted iso? bc when i mount and click burn it says to specify what to burn and i cant direct it to the mounted one

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm. I don't think you can mount and then burn but I thought it was worth a try. I guess you better wait for a mac genius to turn up on this thread...

Btw, you sure there isn't an ISO within the ISO right?

Reaction score
There should not be an iso file on the cd that you burn, it should just have all of the windows files on it. Not sure how to help you get there, but that is what you're shooting for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Ok... when you mount the ISO file, what is inside it? You should see all your Windows files, not another ISO file. If you do see another ISO file, then you should extract that, mount it, and see what's inside it.

If the ISO file does have all your Windows files properly, then try using SimplyBurns. It's a freebie... use the "Burn Image" option, then select the ISO file.

OP
J
Reaction score
For some reason nero doesn't mount right (Nero 7) when burning an .iso as an image cd. But I found out how to mount .img with MAC and im about to try a .iso.

Ill let you all know how it goes in a bit, thanks so much everyone.:Smirk:

(and yes, the whole time everytime I burned an .iso it turned out that only the .iso file was on the disc, not the individual files...which is odd for nero to be doing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and yes, the whole time everytime I burned an .iso it turned out that only the .iso file was on the disc, not the individual files
:Angry smiley scratching chin:

OP
J
Reaction score
Yess, okay so I was able to reburn that .iso with the individual files in the iso on the cd. But I've come across another problem, boot camp nor mac recognizes it as a working xp install. :Sleeping:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It has to be a Service Pack 2 disk without which it won't recognise it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.