The contents in my external drive are not showing up

Reaction score
The contents in my external drive are not showing up. The disk icon will come up on the desktop, but when I click on it, there is nothing in it. In other OSes, it shows. :Angry:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
How is it formated (File system)?

M

MacHeadCase

Just a wild guess here... Download MainMenu (correct spelling for google), install it, launch it (it appears in the menubar above) and ask for Show Invisibles in the Finder section. You will see plenty of files everywhere but never mind about that for now: see if by doubleclicking on your external hard drive, if you wouldn't see the files in a folder that should now show up called .trashes.

Other than that, I have no idea.

To make the invisible files go back to being invisible, just click on Hide Invisibles.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Just a wild guess here... Download MainMenu (correct spelling for google), install it, launch it (it appears in the menubar above) and ask for Show Invisibles in the Finder section. You will see plenty of files everywhere but never mind about that for now: see if by doubleclicking on your external hard drive, if you wouldn't see the files in a folder that should now show up called .trashes.

Other than that, I have no idea.

To make the invisible files go back to being invisible, just click on Hide Invisibles.

I had trouble following that a little bit, but it does make sense. Maybe one of your other operating systems by accident hid the files so the mac system can no longer see them.

M

MacHeadCase

I'm suggesting this because a friend of mine from school brought home some homework to do on a USB key only to find the key seemed empty, no files were on it and yet over 100MB of space was supposedly taken up.

I asked her to use MainMenu to make invisible files appear just in case, and sure enough the files were in an invisible ".Trash" (or ".Trashes", can't recall) folder on the USB key. It would appear she had inadvertently disconnected here USB key before it has been correctly unmounted by the system on a couple of occasions.

This is just a wild guess. I could be completely in left field with this one, mind you. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
MacFuse is not made by Apple. It's their responsibility to fix that 4GB problem. OSX will read files of any size. This is a MacFuse issue.

OSX has ALWAYS read NTFS drives with no help. It's writing that does not work till MacFuse. I can plug any external NTFS drive in here and it all shows up.

I had a friend with an NTFS External and when he first bought a Mac, the drive would show empty like yours is doing. Turned out it was the Volume NAME on the drive was either missing or had a space and that caused the issue. We plugged it into his PC and gave it a name and it showed up in OSX. Give it a try.

Report back if it works or does not work. It's been ages since I helped him out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.