Samba on a Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD.
Hello everyone, I have a question and I hope you can help me. I currently have a Mac Pro G5 that I want to connect to my network. I have three windows XP PC's, one Vista, and an Ubuntu Box. I want to connect my G5 to the network and use it to access files from the XP and Ubuntu box. I am not sure if I can use Samba to do this, or how to configure it on the G5. I have it running on the Ubuntu box and it works great. Is there a similarity on the configuration as it is on Ubuntu? I am currently running OSX 10.4 on the G5. Any advice will be helpful. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Hi NeoGreen,

It is much easier to do it in Mac than in Ubuntu box. All you have to do is set the Windows sharing on.

Open System Preferences
Go to Services tab in Sharing secting
Check the box in front of "Windows Sharing"

That's all.

OP
NeoGreen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, so I don't have to install samba to get it to work with my windows/linux network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Samba is pre-installed on your Mac.
You can find the configuration in /etc/smb.conf

OP
NeoGreen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome thanks for the info

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.