Disable Airport card from Safe Boot?

Reaction score
Hello,

I have tried searching this site as well as google to no avail. I apparently have a defective airport card because when the card is enabled, I get Kernel Panics either before the iBook is booted up or seconds after getting to the desktop. Booting in Safe Boot works fine. I was running Tiger and the notebook would run flawlessly until I tried to turn on the Airport card and then it would immediately crash. I was always able to reboot and the card would be disabled automatically. I upgraded to Leopard and it worked until I tried to enable the card again only this time it stayed enabled and now it crashes every time I boot. Is there a way to permanently disable the Airport card (like in a BIOS somewhere) or disable it in normal mode from Safe boot?
I apologize for my ignorance, I am a PC guy who bought a cheap MAC in order to learn the ropes.

I am running:

14" iBook 1.4
OSX 10.5

EDIT: P.S. I took off the keyboard but this model must have built in Airport because there was nothing there above the RAM shield.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.