Can't eject drives

Reaction score
I updated my mac a few days ago via software update and whenever i try to eject a hard drive it tells me the drive is in use when no programs are open.

What gives?

M

MacHeadCase

Could it be that Spotlight is indexing the drives? Or if you are running Leopard, it could be Time Machine doing backups?

Did you update with any of those drives still attached to your Mac during the update install? It's always best to disconnect all unnecessary peripherals before doing any update installs.

OP
A
Reaction score
Well, sometimes I have my time machine drive connected but when I try to disconnect it it's never being accessed. Either way, it does it with other drives even when the time machine isn't connected.

The other devices I can't eject are my ipod and flash memory sticks.

OP
A
Reaction score
What's the deal with this? My roommate just installed leopard (i have leopard installed) and he can never eject a hard drive.

What?? Isn't anyone else having this problem?

Reaction score
If Spaces is running, quit it and try to unmount the drive.

I take it you've tried all the "unmount a drive" methods?

Probably Spotlight could be indexing the drive .... If you open up system prefs/spotlight/privacy pane you should be able to add the external drive. So next time you mount it it won't be indexed.

Strange that both of your Macs are exhibiting this behaviour.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
All my external drives (Both Firewire and USB 2) and all my memory sticks and iPods eject. I don't know what is going on. This is on 5 very different Macs also. 10.5.1. Wish I would help but I can't duplicate your issue here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.