iWork08

Reaction score
I purchased the full version for my new MPB pro a couple weeks ago. I was enjoying the word processor until I tried to send a document via email to my work address. To my horror, the only way I could do it, was to convert it to word document. I also have learned, that there is no compatibility between word and pages. Using word on my pc, I would just click and hit the email to, and bingo...it was gone. Am I missing something, or....will I continue to have to deal with the converting thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
I purchased the full version for my new MPB pro a couple weeks ago. I was enjoying the word processor until I tried to send a document via email to my work address. To my horror, the only way I could do it, was to convert it to word document. I also have learned, that there is no compatibility between word and pages. Using word on my pc, I would just click and hit the email to, and bingo...it was gone. Am I missing something, or....will I continue to have to deal with the converting thing.

I think you're stuck with either a) Converting or b) Just using Microsoft Word.

I tried a test by sending a Pages doc to my brothers computer, and he had the same problems with opening it. And when he did.. it was almost like a small picture that came out blurry and unreadable.

My advice.. Use word when you know you'll be sending it to work.

Reaction score
hmm.actually you can export your page file to .doc file(Its in "File-Export").so you don't need to use Word to type stuff out. still you need to know that sometimes formatting will be off a little bit after the converting.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
For 100% compatibility with MS Office, you'll need MS Office.

All office software have their own format.
But at least the others (Open Office, Neo Office, iWork) allow you to save your documents into MS Office file formats when you need to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
Are you sending the file as an attachment using Mail.app?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook / Mac Mini
Don't use Pages if you want to share the document with Word users... exporting to Word just ***** up the formatting and stuff.

Export to PDF if you just want to show the document to people.

If you need to share the document with other users that will contribute to the document and then send it back to you, look at MS Office:Mac, OpenOffice or Nisus Writer.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
I did convert the document to a word document before sending it to my work computer. It then opened. It is just a little disheartening that the conversion needs to take place. By sending a word document to my mac, would I have the reverse problem. In other words, would I need word to open that document up? I like the fonts and easy use of Pages, but I am certainly used to MS. I just can't justify the expense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66, ATI 1900, 5 GB RAM, 750 GB Storage
I have had no problems opening Word documents in Pages or any office documents in the corresponding iWork application.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66, ATI 1900, 5 GB RAM, 750 GB Storage
Are you asking how I sent Pages documents via e-mail?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.