Ethernet Not Working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
I just bought a Macbook, it is not a core 2 duo but the Core Duo, I just bought is 2nd Hand and the ethernet port isn't working, is there a special sort of cable I need to use it or something, I just upgraded from a iBook and am using the same router and ethernet cables as the ibook and both the router and the computer don't recognize that there is anything plugged into the ethernet port and no lights are appearing on the router

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is the cable from the router to the computer (Cat-5) a Crossover or Straight Through cable?

If after changing the cable you still get no lights, you might want to check the pins in the RJ-45 Jack on the Macbook to be sure the previous owner did not bend them somehow. Seen that many times now. If it's not that hope the Port is ok and not blown. Try a different cable if you can, Straight Through and not crossover.

Reaction score
If your current setup worked with the iBook it should work with the Macbook. As stated above, make sure no pins are bent in the jack in the Macbook and make sure the adapter is not disabled somehow.

OP
halo200
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
Straight Though

Hi

The Cables are all straight through cables, I don't own any crossover cables, I looked into the macbooks port and it seems that the pins are much lower to the bottom of the port than what they should be, my brothers ethernet port pins are almost halfway up the port, any ideas on how to get them back to what they should be at?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.