dreamhost/ftp question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5
I just got into this whole web design stuff, and I have purchased a dreamhost account. I like it so far :) My only question is about multiple users. I want to share all of the files that I upload with my girlfriend. So i set her up a ftp user. I put something on the server to test this out. I log in with my username, and I can see the file i uploaded and the folder my website is in. When I log in with her username, I can't see either one (the file, or my website's folder). What do I need to do to allow her to see all of the stuff that I see??

Reaction score
You will likely have to give your girlfriend your login info or call dreamhost. Usually additional usernames are setup like a subaccount, with their own folder where they can't see your stuff.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You will likely have to give your girlfriend your login info or call dreamhost. Usually additional usernames are setup like a subaccount, with their own folder where they can't see your stuff.

That makes sense to have it that way. Thank you!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I sent Dreamhost an email and they said the only way to do what I wanna do is through shell/ssh. She has a windows computer and i'm on my mac. could someone explain how to do this or point me to somewhere that can?

We are both set up as Shell users on the server.

Much thanks!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I have to set up a Unix group and ssh into the thing to get this done. That is what the support guy told me. If there is an easier way, please let me know I'm not sure how ssh would settle with her in the driver's seat ;) Thinking about using PuTTY on the windows side, and Cyberduck on the Mac side.

Sounds like a healthy combination!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.