Spotlight Indexing Stuck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
I've had Leopard installed since the day it came out, but today all of the sudden it started randomly indexing my time machine drive and my other external hard drive. The time machine drive is just stuck at a spinning bar with "estimating indexing time" and my other drive has been stuck at about 3/4 the way done with "11 minutes remaining" displayed, the problem is it has said this for probably half the day, and I already restarted my computer and repaired permissions. Can anyone help?

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
I added the backup drive to the "Privacy" settings for spotlight in system preferences in hopes that spotlight would just ignore it but I restarted and it's still trying to index it...:-/

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After a restart it seems to be fine now....but if it starts up again I'll take your advice, thanks!

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So...both my externals have started to infinitely estimate indexing times once again...why on earth do they do that? If I do what technologist said are there any bad side effects I'll regret later?

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I type this into terminal and drag the drive in I get "Error: unexpected indexing state." And my externals are still estimating indexing time...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.