Strange maintenance scripts behavior

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
Hi,

I used MainMenu to run the maintenance scripts and got the following errors:

Running weekly maintenance scripts

Wed Nov 28 17:36:15 EST 2007

Rebuilding locate database...

Rebuilding whatis database...
find: /usr/local/man: No such file or directory

Rotating log files:
Wed Nov 28 17:36:24 EST 2007

Maintenance scripts complete

Running monthly maintenance scripts

Wed Nov 28 17:37:59 EST 2007

Doing login accounting:
sort: open failed: +1: No such file or directory

Rotating log files:
chmod: /var/log/wtmp: No such file or directory
Wed Nov 28 17:38:00 EST 2007

Maintenance scripts complete

As far as the "/usr/local/man" goes, it should be AEM (this would be the admin account user as shown in Mac HD -> places).

The same happened when using Tiger (after doing a migration from my older iMac) and Leopard was installed using the A&I method.

Thanks,
Gene

M

MacHeadCase

I remember I used to get one of those, the find: /usr/local/man: No such file or directory but I don't anymore.

I always wanted to email the developer but never got around to do it. I dunno what fixed this or made MainMenu stop giving this message. Looks like you'll have to do it and educate the rest of us. :D

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
I remember I used to get one of those, the find: /usr/local/man: No such file or directory but I don't anymore.

I always wanted to email the developer but never got around to do it. I dunno what fixed this or made MainMenu stop giving this message. Looks like you'll have to do it and educate the rest of us. :D

Salut toi,

Also had the same problem with MacJanitor before switching to MainMenu.

Is there another way to run these scripts?

Also, when are the scripts automatically ran? When the computer is idle?

Gene

M

MacHeadCase

The Mac cannot be set to sleep at all otherwise the scripts will not run on their own. As has been mentioned a few times before, Mac OS X's built-in tasks are set to run every day between 3:00 and 5:30 am but having your Mac sleep defeats the purpose. I do believe you can however set the monitor to sleep.

Create a new user account and see if MainMenu gives the same messages as in your usual account: it could be something that you have installed in your account.

But I would venture to guess that those messages are not dramatic and do not indicate anything going wrong: I got one of those for a certain period of time and nothing broke.

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks and BTW, love the hat.

I received this explanation on another forum:

The error ...

"find: /usr/local/man: No such file or directory"

is harmless and always appears in the weekly script log. Your "locate" and "find" commands will work properly and you can ignore it. That "error" has been appearing in my iMac G5 (PPC) and MacBook Pro (C2D, Intel) weekly logs since they were freshly brand new.

The login accounting error means you won't see a listing in the monthly log file that shows what users logged in and for how long. And the wtmp error means that the script could not find wtmp in the /var/log directory. wtmp keeps track of users and their logins, so it's related to the login accounting error. Have you deleted that file?

The only true error you are seeing here has to do with the login accounting file wtmp (or the fact that it apparently isn't in your system where it belongs). Nonetheless, I doubt this is a serious problem. But it might be indicative of you or someone else moving or deleting files that might be best left alone.

So, looks like there's nothing to worry about. Or is there? Seems that wmtp is for keeping track of users and the only one is me, Admin...

Salut,
Moi

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.