MacBook Pro 1.83ghz newbie...Ram question

Reaction score
Just purchased a used MBP 1.83 ghz w/ 512mb ram off of ebay (have not received the MBP yet) but I am already interested in upgrading the ram. ;D

Here are my plans for the MBP: Install Leopard 10.5, install Winblows XP (for work application) and VMWare Fusion.

I always think "more is better", so is 4gb (2X2gb) mushkin ram sufficient, not enough, or overkill? I assume there are 2 memory slots for the 2x ram, correct?

Newegg.com has this ram for $130 here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146697

Is this ram sufficient, and is this a good price, or is there a better alternative?

Thanks.

Reaction score
that is a really good price for the ram, but you need to provide more info for us to answer the "overkill or sufficient" question. Personally for me it would be overkill, but i'd be prepared for the future.

What do you use your computer for?

What programs would you run, and what would you run all at the same time?

Reaction score
The 1.83Ghz MBP uses the Core Duo processor.

It cannot use more than 2GB of RAM. Anything more is a waste of money.

The Core2Duo can use up to 3GB or RAM you can put in 4GB and it will see it but a motherboard limitation prevents all 4GB from being addressed.

Only the Santa Rosa based Core2Duo MBPs (release last July) can address 4GB of RAM.

Don't waste your money. Get 2 x 1GB of SoDIMM.

OP
D
Reaction score
The 1.83Ghz MBP uses the Core Duo processor.

It cannot use more than 2GB of RAM. Anything more is a waste of money.

The Core2Duo can use up to 3GB or RAM you can put in 4GB and it will see it but a motherboard limitation prevents all 4GB from being addressed.

Only the Santa Rosa based Core2Duo MBPs (release last July) can address 4GB of RAM.

Don't waste your money. Get 2 x 1GB of SoDIMM.
Thanks, just what I needed to know...that will save me ~$70 (nice dinner for me and my better half) :^)-

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.