general questions about Apple Remote Desktop for a new Apple User... please reply

Reaction score
Hello guys...

I am a new Apple user. I've only been using it for about 5 months now, and I have some general questions about Apple Remote Desktop.

I have a Laptop (MacBook) and a desktop (iMac) and I wanted to set up a remote desktop system. I want to be able to access my iMac from my MacBook from any part of the world I am, and be able to see my iMac desktop and work in it as if I was sitting in front of it.

I've been researching for a while about Apple Remote Desktop but I don't know exactly if this will help me do what I want. I was wondering if anyone can give me a website with step by step instructions, if I have to forward ports if i'm behind a firewall, etc... i need some info on this, or if any one knows of any other program that will do exactly this, please inform me...

Thank you!

OP
A
Reaction score
that really doesn't help me much... it is not what I'm looking for...

any other suggestions??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 2.16 CPU/2GB RAM
Well do you have Leopard or Tiger (10.5 or 10.4)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well if I am not mistaken, if you have a AIM account and use iChat there is a new thing that less you screen share and fully interact with another computer on you personal network or in a totally different hemisphere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I forgot to add, if you don't have AIM you could also use a .Mac account if you have one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.