can you map an network "Windows" drive to a Mac?

Reaction score
My entire home is rigged with multiple XP and Vista Ultimate machines sharing movies and music. I'd like to have the make be able map shared documents on the M$ systems to the make vice versa.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have no issues here sharing from Windows to my Macs. Only with Vista will you have issues because they changed network setting in Vista. Easy to change back. I described how here on the forums. XP just works with Macs without one issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
Does MAC have a concept of map-drive? I never came across it anywhere. If yes, how is it done?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I don't think you can map a drive like mapping is done in XP/Vista, but since in Leopard the shared PCs automatically appear in the finder sidebar, this is not really required...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Does MAC have a concept of map-drive? I never came across it anywhere. If yes, how is it done?

The concept of "mapping a drive" (or even drives at all) is mostly a DOS/Windows invention.

Macs mount volumes, which may be hard disk drives, CDs/DVDs, network shares, flash devices, or whatever. Mounted volumes appear on the desktop when they're connected, and disappear when they're not connected.

On a Mac, there is no way to have a "drive letter" assigned to a device that may or may not be connected.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.