Help me fight the relapse! Intend to buy Mac, Tempted to buy PC!

Reaction score
Please help!

I have been doing extensive research on Macs for the past 1-2 weeks now, and after thinking "ok, I'm going to get one!" It happened...... I went to dell.com and configured a machine. Here is what I built.
http://ecomm.dell.com/dellstore/bas...=CFG&oid=beb43c20-14bf-4978-ba9c-25e3907db51c
It has 2.2 Ghz intel core 2 duo, 2gb ram, built in camera and blue tooth, 120 gb hard drive, and a year protection against damage/accidents (which apple care cannot give me).

To get all of this on a Macbook it would cost $1,500, while the dell is probably $1,200 after shipping/tax.

PLEASE CONVINCE ME WHY THE MACBOOK IS WORTH THE EXTRA $300.
Thanks maccers, i need u!

Reaction score
99.999% stable Operating System.
15secs bootup.
Can run WINXP/VISTA very well.
No slowing down overtime as you put on more programs.
Dispite my 1st impressions in last 3 months with my new iMac, Thing REALLY do Work, no nonsense.
No Virus programme to buy and no yearly updates.
No probs with incompatible Drivers?
FireWire800 (faster than USB2.0)
builtin wireless "n" fastest speed.
hmmmm, just gotta LUV THE MAC! never looking back!

Reaction score
If the machines have equal hardware specs and you have no windows-only software, you will be happier with the Mac for only $300.

If the Windows hardware is better it might be a different story. Also, if you keep an eye on slickdeals.net you should be able to find a much better deal on a Dell laptop. Something more along the lines of $1000.

Like I said, though. If either will work for you then I'd go with the Mac simply based on the build quality and the fact that you can run any OS you please on it. If you can get a Dell lappy for $1000, then I would go with it strictly based on money.

OP
E
Reaction score
Sorry I forgot to mention..

the dell comes with a nvidia geforce GeForce 8400M GS.. while the mac comes with a intel 3100. i think thats one of the things that shot me. im not doing 3d or video work, just running photoshop with many windows. but a graphics card would also help there.

Any other reasons ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
just running photoshop with many windows. but a graphics card would also help there.
Those graphics cards won't matter if you aren't doing 3D work. The graphics card won't help Photoshop, more system RAM will help Photoshop.

I have been doing extensive research on Macs for the past 1-2 weeks now, and after thinking "ok, I'm going to get one!"
I would do a little more research than a couple weeks worth. Go an try one out. Use one.
Then ask yourself, "What are my needs for a computer and which one is going to fit my needs best?"

What are your needs? You only list using Photoshop "with many windows". That being the case, just about any decent computer will do the job. I have an 8 year old home-built box that runs Photoshop just fine on an 8MB video card.

Nobody can "convince" you of anything. You will have to do the convincing yourself... and only after you have taken a detailed inventory of your computing needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Hi electronsi00 and welcome:)

I'm in similar situation and it's stressing me out. I said to my friend, maybe I will regret whatever computer I get:Angry-Tongue:

I'm almost at the stage where I think spending a little bit more on an Apple computer for some better features/options that a Windows pc struggles with, might be the way to go. If you go with macbook now, you can always go back to a windows pc in the future.

These feature's I will love on a Mac
No slowing down overtime as you put on more programs. (as the above person said)
No Virus/spyware programmes
way less wires..woah you should see all my wired network lol under my table

I've been researching since Auguest and still can't make my mind up

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
One word, OSX. If you like Windows better than OSX, then get the Dell.

I would never get a Mac just to run Windows.

The other users here have covered your other points very well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.6GHz i5 8GB RAM 1TB HDD OSX Yosemite
A lot of good reasons are posted here. Go look at one. I did and I bought a different machine than I would have ordered. I used a macbook was a little unhappy with the screen size (13") That was a little small for me. I went to a Dell 17". Vista ran fine and looked great to me. Problems... It vibrated when I typed. The wireless would show two dots as to a full signal from the mac. Had the touchpad set to ignore when mouse was present problem was it ignored all the time. Pages jumped when scrolling came with 1Gig RAM think I needed two. Sent it back... Went though an 17" HP Scrolling was also jumpy again 1Gig RAM. Didn't like the keyboard layout little stuff not really that bad but the body of both just felt cheap (to me). Went back to mac with a Macbook Pro 15.4" and I very happy. Very well built everything works (except I can't see my other PC's). Matte screen is keyboard layout touch pad all great. Plenty of power... As for needing it... No... But I wanted it... Another thing mac spell checks everything you type... Great... And yes I can run windows if needed...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
As most people have said, the user experience is the killer reason to go Mac vs. Windows. Try playing with a new Vista based computer and with a new Leopard based Mac. There is simply NO comparison. The Mac is hands down the superior product.

This is not a hard technical reason, but it is the one that may resonate the most with you. You have to interact with the computer you buy on a daily basis. While it is comforting to know that your new Dell may have better hardware specs, if it is annoying to interact with, this is of little use. Try out a new Mac. You WILL be impressed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
With the info the original poster gave I would probably go for an imac or macbook. Why? Well unless the person is a mad gamer and needs every bit of video ram power I say the mac is better value for money. For all the reasons said above + plus one extra one. I think the mac has a longer lifespan than the average PC. For me after 2-3 years PC's tend not to be able to run the most current programs without upgrades. And Macs can run them with a 5 year old machine. Sure that machine won't run them as good as the new mac but it still will do the job.

I believe buying a new computer is an investment. And you have to think will it satisfy your needs now as well as a few years into the future. Also who knows in the next MS OS will run on your machine. There's no guarantee. But with Apple they always try to make all their systems as backwards compatible as possible. Cause macs on the whole (apart from the mac pro which we're not talking about here) is mostly not upgradeable. But you don't need to upgrade them. On the whole they just work.

And as my last word, as they say in business time is money. And would you pay that little extra money to make your every day life easier and all your computing tasks that much easier and quicker to do. I think most people would. In your case you're paying a little extra cash for the convenience of a in my opinion a better machine. And if you don't like it, you always have the option of using the macbook as a mostly windows machine if you don't like OS X. But if you get the Dell you're stuck with windows and have no opportunity to use OS X.

Also you'll save a little money if you get only the minimum ram for the mac of your choosing and get the rest you require from a 3rd party store. Much cheaper and so easy to install yourself and not voiding your warranty.

What's the graphics card like in the Dell?

Reaction score
Just thought of something else.

This isn't really a problem with Windows, more of an issue with Dell. Dell loads up all of their machines with a bunch of useless crap (which makes them money) This isn't a huge deal for someone who is pretty good in Windows, they can just uninstall all of the crap or even do a blank install. Just something else to think about if you don't want to have to deal with it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Don't switch to a Mac if you are content with Windows... period. It's not worth it to have to re-purchase Mac versions of all your Windows software . Not only that, but Windows works differently in many aspects. If you're not into spending some time learning new and different ways to do things, then the Mac is not for you.

We see a lot of people that are unhappy with their switch because they bought a Mac, expecting a Windows machine. Don't make that mistake.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Don't switch to a Mac if you are content with Windows... period. It's not worth it to have to re-purchase Mac versions of all your Windows software . Not only that, but Windows works differently in many aspects. If you're not into spending some time learning new and different ways to do things, then the Mac is not for you.

We see a lot of people that are unhappy with their switch because they bought a Mac, expecting a Windows machine. Don't make that mistake.

VERY well said.

OP
E
Reaction score

Thank you all for the responses you have given. Your opinions are very valuable to me. I am ready to learn how to use mac, figuring out how to use things is no problem for me. And I have never felt so much excitement about a machine as I do about Macs, and in particular the excitement on this forum.

I plan on purchasing a macbook soon and will spend winter break learning how to use it, function with it, etc. Please plan to see me a lot on this forum searching and asking questions =)

Any guides or tutorials out there to help a windows transitioner?

M

MacHeadCase

At the top of the Switcher Hangout forum, there are stickies that have a lot of info, especially eric's Mac-Forums Switchers FAQ and Information. buy yourself David Pogue's Mac OS X Leopard: The Missing Manual and you should be all set.

BTW welcome to Mac-Forums, electronsi00.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Any guides or tutorials out there to help a windows transitioner?

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/search.php

And a tip: When you are using the Mac... FORGET Windows. It doesn't matter or make any difference what program you used in Windows, how you did something in Windows, what the process or steps were like in Windows.... that means nothing when you are using a Mac, so don't bother trying to compare or contrast the two. Don't even bring them up. If you want to know how to do something on the Mac, then just ask "How do I...?"
Don't say "On Windows I did/used.......". Just get to the real question. :)

Trust me, it will make learning the Mac so much easier.

Reaction score
also I'll like to add with a Mac you can sell it in 4 or 5 years time for around 60% of it's orginal purchase price, compared to a 5 year old PC that you'll perhaps give it away for FREE to a Nephew!

OP
E
Reaction score
also I'll like to add with a Mac you can sell it in 4 or 5 years time for around 60% of it's orginal purchase price, compared to a 5 year old PC that you'll perhaps give it away for FREE to a Nephew!

For someone reason I feel this is a personal story more than its a general example =)

THANKS EVERYONE. will buy my mac soon. not the macbook pro though, thats just too darn pricey =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
99.999% stable Operating System.
15secs bootup.
Can run WINXP/VISTA very well.
No slowing down overtime as you put on more programs.
Dispite my 1st impressions in last 3 months with my new iMac, Thing REALLY do Work, no nonsense.
No Virus programme to buy and no yearly updates.
No probs with incompatible Drivers?
FireWire800 (faster than USB2.0)
builtin wireless "n" fastest speed.
hmmmm, just gotta LUV THE MAC! never looking back!

Exactly, once you've had mac, you never go back :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.