Unresponsive Ipod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.5 MBP 2.16Ghz 2Gig Ram
I have a 5.5 gen (i believe) 30gig ipod video that will not work. Ive tried plugging it into my mac, plugging it into my ipod clock, pushing the buttons, but nothing works. It just shows a blank black screen (like its off).

As of 2 hours ago it worked fine. I plugged it in to recharge and add some songs, and it said to update it. Halfway through itself restarting the screen went blank, and thus the problem began. I haven't modded it or anything.

Thanks for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
Hi Viper. I like how your registered name is viper and the car in your avatar is a Porsche.

So it doesn't appear up on your computer when you plug your iPod in it?

Have you tried restarting it? (holding menu and the middle button)

OP
viper22
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried restarting it but it still wont turn on. Its not that it dosent appear on my computer, its more of it wont turn on period. For example, when you plug in your ipod to a computer the ipod turns on, shows "do not disconnect", and mounts on the computer. My problem is that none of these happen for me. No matter what i do the ipod always appears to be off. At first i thought the screen might have gone bad, but then i noticed the HD never starts or anything.

Thanks for the reply, And fyi "viper" has nothing to do with the car, but I guess it is ironic now that you say that.

OP
viper22
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks but its still nothing.

Ive plugged it in for an hour to see if it would help, but no.
It wont reset or unfreeze no matter how many times I try.
Ive even tried plugging it into another computer (it was a windows pc so you know im desperate).

I believe that i now have new shiny paperweight, but please prove me wrong.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
Where did you buy it from?

Can you take it back with a warranty?

I suggest from there just taking it to the Apple Store and see if they can do anything.

OP
viper22
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought it from apple when i bought my Macbook Pro. Which was 18ish months ago so i doubt its still under waranty. I did buy the applecare on my MBP but not for the ipod. I would take it to the Apple Store but the closest one is 2 hours away.

Thanks anyways

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I bought it from apple when i bought my Macbook Pro. Which was 18ish months ago so i doubt its still under waranty. I did buy the applecare on my MBP but not for the ipod. I would take it to the Apple Store but the closest one is 2 hours away.

Thanks anyways

It's not under warranty then.

Check out this site:

http://www.crunchgear.com/2007/03/05/crunchgear-how-to-fix-an-ipod-that-wont-boot/

There's actually quite a number of repair sites out there, try googling "repair ipod".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.