Safari - Text not crisp?

Reaction score
Friends,

I notice when comparing Safari loaded web pages against Internet Explorer pages that the text is not as sharp/crisp in Safari as it is in Internet Explorer?

Safari web text seems a little smudged or blocky and not sharp/bold as in Internet Explorer?

It also appears to be a little larger and sometimes not correctly placed?

Appreciate your feedback.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Friends,

I notice when comparing Safari loaded web pages against Internet Explorer pages that the text is not as sharp/crisp in Safari as it is in Internet Explorer?

Safari web text seems a little smudged or blocky and not sharp/bold as in Internet Explorer?

It also appears to be a little larger and sometimes not correctly placed?

Appreciate your feedback.

Mac OS and Windows render fonts in fundamentally different ways. I think Levi's post in this thread explains it quite well. If you want more interesting reading, use the search button to look for key words "font" and "rendering".

Also interesting is this side-by-side comparison, detailing the differences.

The bottom line is that it's something you have to get used to as a switcher.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Yes, it is different. In short Apple chooses to display fonts as they are intended to be displayed. Windows butchers them. Unfortunately, many Windows users aren't ever aware of this until they start to use a Mac.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Had this same complaint when I got my MBP almost a year ago now.
At this point, it is a pretty rare occasion that I use Windows.
Have adjusted well as far as the screen on my MBP and don't even notice it.
But, still say it bites the big bullit when you try to run a signal to an HDTV.
No amount of getting use to it causes it to get any easier to read on a big screen at 720 or 1080. Looks like you're watching a 240p image stretched out across the screen.
Think this has really got to be my only complaint with OS X. It's not enough to get me back on my windows machine though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.