transcend fb dimms

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro 2.66 quad, Ati x1900, 2 500GB drives, 6 mb ram, dual 24"dell monitors
I was on newegg today, and I see transcend fb dimm modules that are pretty cheap. They have good reviews.
Has anyone used these in their mac pros?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, MacBook CD
I'm about to order 2 of their 2GB sticks. If you can wait a week or so, I'll be the Guinea pig and let you know how they work.

From what I've read though, they seem to be good. There was some mention of more heat compared to Crucial, for what it's worth. I'll find out next week.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro 2.66 quad, Ati x1900, 2 500GB drives, 6 mb ram, dual 24"dell monitors
Hi,
I already got them (2 2gb) and they seem to be fine.
I think Apple just tries to scare us.
THese inexpensive dimms are just fine. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
Transcend makes good RAM. How much is it? I got 4 GB of G Skill for $70 after rebate and it works great. My iMac came with 1 GB of Hynix memory for crying out loud. If Hynix is good enough, Transcend and G Skill sure as heck are.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
As long as it has a heat spreader, you'll be fine. I haven't read anywhere that says you have to use a certain brand memory so I have no idea why you'd be scared.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
YOU DO NOT WANT A HEAT SPREADER. It may be too thick to fit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, MacBook CD
Cheap Crucial Memory at TigerDirect

I actually canceled my order for the Transcend memory with Newegg because this Crucial memory popped up on TigerDirect:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=2499&Nav=|c:2453|&Sort=0&Recs=10

I got 4 2GB sticks (8GB total) for $299.99 (~$314 w/shipping). That's $39.25/GB.

I would have to spend $2,400 to get that much memory through Apple.

To brian67: This is memory for the Mac Pro, which has heat spreaders on the memory. The heat spreaders for both the Transcend memory and the Crucial memory are made to Apple specs, so they will fit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
YOU DO NOT WANT A HEAT SPREADER. It may be too thick to fit.

Thanks for negative rep. Please make sure YOU know what you're talking about before issuing negative rep. Apple makes more than one desktop computer. They make the iMac which uses laptop RAM. The DIMM will not fit in the iMac with a heat spreader. Unfortunately, we are talking about Apple's other desktop computer, the Mac Pro which uses server RAM and requires an overside heat spreader. The Mac Pro has two RAM cards. It RAM card will hold 4 DIMM for 16GB of RAM.

iMac
imac_narrowweb__300x4422.jpg

Mac Pro
mac_pro208205836_std.jpg

iMac RAM
209020395_384713fda4_m1.jpg

Mac Pro RAM
macpro-melg.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.