2.66 or 3.0 mac pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro 2.66 quad, Ati x1900, 2 500GB drives, 6 mb ram, dual 24"dell monitors
Hi,
I've decided to get my new machine now. I know new ones are around the corner, but I need it today.
So, after scouring ebay and apple store, I see some options.

Is it worth the extra money for the 3.0 ove the 2.66?
My friend has developer discount that she will use for me, so I won't be paying retail.
Is the performance in photoshop and final cut that much better with 3.0?
I will have at least 6 gb in whichever machine I choose.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
There might be some difference. According to benchmark scores, it isn't much faster. The 3GHz will be more noticible with Final Cut but with Photoshop the will perform sorta equally.
I get a discount at work (I realized after I bought my Mac Pro) and it is at cost. The difference will get you a free upgrade to the ATI card which is a good upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66, ATI 1900, 5 GB RAM, 750 GB Storage
I agree with the above post. The 2.66 is a hardly noticeable speed decrease.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks,
I am getting the ATI card with the 2.66. With the developer discount, it is a signifcant savings.

Then I can sell it when the new penryns come out and they work out all the bugs!

Reaction score
Thanks,
I am getting the ATI card with the 2.66. With the developer discount, it is a signifcant savings.

Then I can sell it when the new penryns come out and they work out all the bugs!

I hope you dont regret not getting the 3.0, i regret buying the 2.0 imac instead of the 2.4... but hey! its your choice. enjoy your new mac pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66, ATI 1900, 5 GB RAM, 750 GB Storage
With 4 cores and 2 processors the jump between the 2.66 and the 3.0 is not a significant as the one you have. With the amount of RAM and the upgraded video card except for super intense video editing the 2 systems are so close its negligible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, MacBook CD
Good Choice

Thanks,

You won't regret going with the 2.66. I faced a similar dilemma when I was purchasing my Mac Pro. I did quite a bit of research, and the conclusion was the 2.66 would be more than sufficient for my needs, which don't differ from yours that much.

I run Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, and Dreamweaver at the same time in my work. I also do a bit of video editing. The processors have never been a bottleneck for me.

Where you do want to invest is the ram, which you said you are getting 6GB, and the HDs. For video/photo work I recommend setting up a scratch drive separate from the OS/App drive, and another drive for documents. Running them in a RAID configuration would be even better, but it costs more for all those drives obviously.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for the replies. I have my new machine and I set everything up. I am going to install final cut tonight and check it out.
I'm sure it will be fast enough for me. I'm not doing very heavy work yet.
When I do, the new models will be out and I can splurge.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.