Unix For Mac Os X Help

M

Matt

Firstly, I have never seen a computer running in UNIX mode. I don't have a clue what so ever on their commands. So since I have no idea what so ever on UNIX, I ask:

1: Does UNIX for mac really support UNIX software? :confused:

2: If so, I ask if you can make a "Link" for a program for UNIX into the normal Mac OS X enviroment? I would need absolute guidence for this Including getting out of UNIX, and not stuffing up the system files. ;)

Any feedback appreciated. :D

Running 10.1.5

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Matt said:
1: Does UNIX for mac really support UNIX software? :confused:

2: If so, I ask if you can make a "Link" for a program for UNIX into the normal Mac OS X enviroment? I would need absolute guidence for this Including getting out of UNIX, and not stuffing up the system files. ;)

If you look at item 1 all of the application running are unix programs. I am guessing you mean other flavor of unix programs. Can they be run on Apple's unix. I would say yes, but you would have to recompile them to run.

As for item 2, I am not sure what you really want.

OP
M

Matt

To be honest, I don't know a thing about UNIX :confused:

Didn't know they had different flavours, either, I thought that was a Linux thing. Would you know what UNIX version OS X runs? What is "recomplie"?

OP
V

vuschejan

Matt said:
To be honest, I don't know a thing about UNIX :confused:

Didn't know they had different flavours, either, I thought that was a Linux thing. Would you know what UNIX version OS X runs? What is "recomplie"?

Compile means to take what a computer programs in a certain language(like C++ and perl) and turn it into an app or an executable if your running windows

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.