Airport Express

Reaction score
Hello guys and gals. my name is brad, i dont currently own a mac but have been using them for a while and will be buying in hte next month.
im just a little confused as to what airport express is. do i plug my ethernet from my modem in to it then ive got working internet or do i need a sepret wireless router... im new to this wireless internet thing as im using a desktop right now... thanks for all you help in advance

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hello guys and gals. my name is brad, i dont currently own a mac but have been using them for a while and will be buying in hte next month.
im just a little confused as to what airport express is. do i plug my ethernet from my modem in to it then ive got working internet or do i need a sepret wireless router... im new to this wireless internet thing as im using a desktop right now... thanks for all you help in advance

Welcome to M-F, Brad.

The Airport Express is essentially a small wireless router. The Airport Extreme is its bigger brother. If you already have a cable/DSL modem, and you wish to make it accessible wirelessly, the AirPort Express will allow you to do so. Instead of plugging your modem directly into your desktop, it will plug directly into the Airport Express (if that's the option you choose for wireless capability).

All current Macs come with an AirPort adapter that allows the Mac to connect to a wireless router. It's somewhat confusing in that Apple refers to all of its wireless products as "Airports", but just know that the term "Airport" refers to 802.11/Wi-Fi capability.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66, ATI 1900, 5 GB RAM, 750 GB Storage
Small correction the Mac Pro does not come with wireless as standard. It is an added feature at time of purchase or later but Apple must do the install for warranty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.