No administrator user

Reaction score
I have two users: Myself that is a Standard user, and 'Admin' that's an Administrator. During my update from 10.5 to 10.5.1 'Admin' somehow changed to a Standard user so I'm left without an Administrator user.

I tried booting with the OS X disk but there's nothing to change a user from Standard to Administrator.

Is there some way I change the 'Admin' user back to administrator when all I have is standard users? While in the boot disk I set the root password, if that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
EDIT: MHC is FAST!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
yes very !

nice one.

OP
opus_az
Reaction score
Looks good. Thanks! It's my home computer so I can't work on it until tonight.

Seems pretty straight forward though. It was the "logon as other" that I was missing.

Thanks again.

EDIT: OK, that worked just fine. Except the only way I could disable root user at the end was to first save a blank password for root. Until I did that the Directory Utility's Edit menu would just allow me to enable root user, not disable. Other than that missing step the link worked great.

Reaction score
I am having the same problem. I have reset the admin root password. When I restart and am supposed to login in under "other" I have no "other" option. How do I remedy this in order to reestablish my acct as an admin?

Reaction score
And now I have a new problem. I am entirely unable to log in under my once administrator now standard account. I have reset it using the same procedure listed on the help page, but it still won't let me log in. Please Help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.