missing first letters when typing on MBP

Reaction score
hi
i bought my first MBP 4 weeks ago and i notice that problem with the missing letter(alwais the first one)
I would like to ask you do you think this is a hardware problem or a keyboard problem please?
do you think it can be fixed if i go to the store.I have apple care for 3 years.

thank you in advanced for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i7, MBP 2.2GHz, Hackintosh (retired)
What program? I'm guess Microsoft Office.
I find the same thing with my MBP. I think it has to do with MS Office not being a native application. I'm a relatively new switcher (few months) and the speed difference in Word still bugs me. For what it's worth I found Pages in iWork to be quite fast with no missed letters.

Reaction score
all applications,more noticeable when chatting

Gee I am glad to see this thread! I thought something was wrong with me! It has been happening to me. Happens in various apps, not all the time but just enough to be irritating. I am constantly going back and adding (or capitalizing) the first letter. I am using a G4 Quicksilver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
I've also had this issue, and it's most upsetting when it doesn't get the first letter in your password!

Reaction score
i've had this problem i was putting it down to me not pressing the keys firmly enough.

Reaction score
just googled this,

apparently this is a known issue, it seems that the only fix is to return your mac for a new one.

Reaction score
Just spoken to Apple about this and they are saying that this is a known issue with mac book pros running Leopard and that its a software related problem that will be fixed in a point update. So hopefully leopard 10.5.2 will sort this out.

Ricky55

Reaction score
I have also spoken to Apple, the guy instructed me to;
power down the laptop,
remove both Battery & power lead.
Then hold down the power key for 10 seconds.
Then reinsert battery and power lead and switch back on.

What on earth all this does I have no idea ???.

Unfortunately the advisor had a strong foreign accent which I had difficulty in understanding. So I ended the call at that point.

This is my 6th Apple machine and "to me" I think maybe the build quality has dropped a little. What do you think

Reaction score
but why then people using Tiger has the same problem?

Exactly. I have experienced the same problem, had the problem with Tiger, and now Leopard as well. Like others, I always thought I did not press hard enough on the first keystroke and that is why it was doing it. I have now trained myself that the first keystroke is a pounder, just to make sure it gets recorded.

So, back to the question. If it is a known issue for Leopard, why did we experience it with Tiger as well?

Reaction score
The apple technician said it was a known issue with mac book pros if it happens on Tiger as well then it can't obviously be Leopard specific.

He told me that it was a software glitch or bug which I do believe. They keyboard on my mac book does not appear to be faulty in any way I could write a long essay no problem its just this first letter issue that happens now and again.

Every time it happens though I always think it was me not pressing the key hard enough, I guess we'll just have to wait and see if this gets fixed.

This only occurs once or twice a session (over 8 hours) so doesn't bother me that much but I would like a fix.

Glyn have you tried what apple recommended?

Reaction score
BTW I think the build quality on the mac book pro is excellent. I've had laptops before including sony vaios and I think the build quality on the apple is second to none.

Reaction score
Yes I tried it whilst I was on the phone with them, it didn't make any difference. I personally think it's a keyboard issue and not anything to do with the OS. I doubt very much if these machines would last 5 mins in a busy office environment.I for one find myself FOREVER correcting spelling mistakes, & I'm not a bad speller !.

Thing is, how can I contact Apple (by email) to a dept that would take it seriously ???.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 1,1 / 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core Xeon / 5 GB RAM / OS 10.6
This is confirmed as a known issue, fairly common among MacBook Pro users. It is NOT software related, because it was on Tiger as well. In addition, users reported the same issue when they were running Windows with BootCamp. This is a link to a large thread on the Official Apple Discussion site. In the thread, the users have posted a link to send feedback to apple about this issue

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1036890&tstart=15

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
This might be why they switched the macbook keyboards. maybe the new keyboards are more reliable.

I too have had this problem with my powerbook g4 in tiger. thanks for posting this, i feel better now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.