• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

No sound when previewing in iMovie 08?

Reaction score
Recently, when I opened iMovie 08 to do some home video work, I noticed that there was no sound when I hit the space bar to preview clips (whether clips in the project window or event window). Then I realized that there was no sound anywhere. No music, no sound effects, no video clips. Strangely, the video clips still have sound when I run my mouse pointer over them (both in the project window and event window). There is also plenty of sound from other iLife programs. Is there some setting that got messed up that is affecting the sound in preview?

I have a 20" aluminum iMac with no history of problems and Software Update says that everything is updated. Any ideas?

Reaction score
I was having the exact same issue - skimming the clips there was sound, but playing them there wasn't.

I had only 5GB free out of 120GB on my hard drive and it turned out that iMovie needed more disk space to make the temp files it uses. I moved a bunch of files off to an external drive, and the sound began working again. Big relief!

Reaction score
Same problem w/ my iMovie

I have the same problem - no sound anymore. Even w/ projects which had sound before. However, free space on HD is 64 GB. Any other idea what's wrong with my IMovie 08?

Reaction score
Problem solved

don't know why. But since I restarted the Mac, everything is fine again :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.