Ibook can't see full network

V

vuschejan

Ok, I have an ibook that connects to an 802.11 g d-link router that my PC is connected to as well. That router is connected to yet another d-link router with 3 PC's and a printer connected to it. The problem is that I can only see the 802.11g network (My PC), However when i disconnect my router and hook into the other one i can see all the other computers and the printer. Why cant i see the router with three pcs connected to it through my own router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
Because the 2nd router is probably putting your computers on a seperate subnet. Use only one router and you will be fine.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Because you have set up a tiered network, instead of a flat network. The subnet mask on your router or system is causing the problem. I forget which one.

If you open it up to 255.255.255.255, I believe you should see the whole network of computers.

OP
V

vuschejan

rman said:
Because you have set up a tiered network, instead of a flat network. The subnet mask on your router or system is causing the problem. I forget which one.

If you open it up to 255.255.255.255, I believe you should see the whole network of computers.

Now how do I open it from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.255.255

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
It doesn't work that way, you can't just change the subnet mask. I got my CCNA certification when I was 17, I don't remember too much of it now that I'm 20 but I know you can't just freely change the subnet mask without changing the IP. If both devices on your network are "routers" then you don't need both. Get rid of the one that doesn't have wireless and use the wireless one (assuming it has multiple ethernet ports on it, if not buy a switch) for all your computers and you should be fine.

OP
V

vuschejan

gort said:
It doesn't work that way, you can't just change the subnet mask. I got my CCNA certification when I was 17, I don't remember too much of it now that I'm 20 but I know you can't just freely change the subnet mask without changing the IP. If both devices on your network are "routers" then you don't need both. Get rid of the one that doesn't have wireless and use that for all your computers and you should be fine.

I've tried and it for some reason when my second router dosnt have the first one in front of it none of the computers connected to it can get on the internet.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I just had a thought: 255.255.255.255 will lock it down. I think it is 255.255.0.0 that will open it up.

Now looking at the other suggestions. It depends on what kind of network you want to build and use.

If you are planning to buy another computer that is not wireless, then you will need the second router. If you plan only to get wireless computers, then you can get rid of the second router.

As for using one router, you may need to release the ip address the router obtained from your ISP. When the router grabs a new ip address, you should be good to go.

OP
V

vuschejan

I tried setting the router subnets to 255.255.0.0 but it didnt seem to solve the problem

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.